Fat Fabrications hard sides and roof

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Andre
United States of America

Fat Fabrications hard sides and roof

Post by Andre »

I've been motivated by some blokes on the other side of the pond. (Drinking more beer is only part of it)

I have been toying with the idea of building some removable side and roof panels to fit 710 and 712 m's. These would be for those who are looking for more security or better insulating properties in the colder states. An additional benefit would be the removable sides for that open air off road experience.

The price point I'm aiming for would be between $1200 and $1600 done in 20ga. steel or $1700 to $2100 done in similar thickness of aluminum.

Everything would mount to existing body work with a foam seal and non invasive fasteners. The roof can be done in one piece or 2 piece configuration(cab separate).

Keep in mind, anything I build will be modeled as closely to "what the factory would have done".

I'm going through some renovations of my truck and once I'm done, this will be one of my newest efforts for pinz modification.

Anyone have any ideas to input?

Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
CentAr712
United States of America

Re: Fat Fabrications hard sides and roof

Post by CentAr712 »

Hinged "drop-side" side panels would be great. I've seen them factory installed in
pics of Austrian Rapier 712's and TD's. I think that would be a great feature.
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

There is a 710 running around here that has the removable sides. They fit under the soft top so you don't even know they are there until the top is rolled up. The owner that had those built had two variants made, one was a mesh for air flow and security and one was insulated for winter use. The truck always looks stock with the soft sides down but is secure, at least on the side and rear.

Of course you are familiar with my 712 build. I am not sure I would want the sides removable but the operable windows are nice. I started with the hybrid of vinyl sides on the hard top which worked out really well but did not provide the security. I have always enjoyed the hard top on a pinz. the ability to insulate it and they mount items on top that would further shade the roof and keep things cooler.
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

When I posted "removable", I meant it as able to be disassembled(not quick release). Kind of how you can unfasten the K top from the body. It would have to be Semi permanent attachment to maintain weather proofing and also prevent body flex when impacted inadvertently.

Windows would be optional. I prefer escape hatch windows.

I also like the drop down sides they have on the TD's. I just would keep those for regular soft top trucks.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Options for:
Adding rear windows
2 piece roof
Hatch?
Rear driver cab divider?
I think your idea is a very good one but I guess you would need to gauge interest before you start?
It would be cool to softtop it in the summer then be able switch to hardtop in the winter - I guess since most just roll up the sides and don't fully remove the rear top - then your hardtop with sides removed would be the best of both with added security!
I think some sort of quick release would be important for the rear sides
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Hi Andre,

I have been toying with the idea of adding a cab hard top to my truck, because I usually only roll up the sides and rear of the top, but I almost never uncover the cab. As I am adding a couple of goodies in an overhead console, including a GPS, more security would be good. So having a solid roof in the front but keeping the rear canvas would row my boat.
Also, I would really, really enjoy having a round hatch over the passenger like the 710Ks have...

I would think that I could save on shipping the extra cost of having one made out of aluminium.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I've done rear cab dividers before. They were reinforced with 1" sqr tubing to eliminate cookie sheeting with wind and sunlight while still maintaining structural integrity with the cage divider moved. Most had Pick up rear windows inserted into them.

If I can source the roof hatches, I would definitely install one on the steel roof. The aluminum roof would have to be a custom made access hole. The cap itself I could get from one of the suppliers.

I could also include interior overhead storage and radio/cb mounts, etc... to include cab lighting activated by a door switch.

The escape hatch style windows are used to conform to safety requirements on RV's for egress purposes. They have red levers on the inside that allow the window to pop out on a hinge.

I'm not a big fan of the quick release side panels. I think for summer running, I would just have soft sides attached to the hard top that roll up.

With a hard top. you can now mount a Red Dot AC.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

My 712's top can be removed and converted back to an M if ever I chose to go that direction again. Drop sides would be way cool. I looked at putting 710 panels on my 712 (even bought the panels) then drop siding from where the 710 panels ended to the front. The inside of the drop panel, when folded down, I wanted to use as an egress ladder into the front facing rear seats. I changed my use of the pinz before I could get the project moving. What worked really well on my hybrid top was the use of the C channel used to hold awnings on RV's. You simply slid the top into the C channel when you wanted it on the truck and back off when not in use. It made for a water tight installation and was easy to use.
On the front hard top I looked at a T-top affair. I was thinking removable T-tops for those very nice days and visibility when on the trail. The A/C unit would mount on the hard section between the T-tops. Just some food for thought. I really like an open cab in the pinz which is why I chose to keep the canvas on the front section of mine. I understand the desire to have it made solid but not for me. If you want a source for T-top windows look at the windows in the 80's toyota 4 runner tops. The curved glass is almost identical to the radius of the pinz top. They use a series of small bolts to hold them in place. Here most of the 4 runners are made into rock truggies so the fiberglass tops are discarded (thats how I sourced the rear windows for my 712 project).
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

Andre wrote:mount a Red Dot AC.
Not to make your thread wander, but still on my to-do list. I just wish there were a less intrusive way to do AC, even though the conversion on Neil's 712K was pretty nice.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

My plan was very similar to Niel's 712K. mount the head unit behind the front roll bar so one could still go topless up front in nice weather. Air can always be ducted where needed.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Cruiser68
United States of America

Post by Cruiser68 »

I'm a semi-newbie. I was toying with the idea of a hardtop for my Pinz. I bought my Pinz with just a bikini top on back. Would love to have everything buttoned up that's for sure.
Thanks, Alan.
stevo

Post by stevo »

Howdy,
I would be very interested in changing my 710M to some kind of "hard shell" truck. The thought of leaving my truck and all of the "stuff" I carry open to the coyotes and other vermin that roam the countryside makes me cringe. I'm too old to fight 'em and you can't just shoot 'em even if you catch 'em in the act. I may be paranoid, but worrying about your stuff while you're hiking or exploring over that ridge takes alot of fun out of your adventure. A hard shell (sides, roof, and a cab) which I could secure would make me alot happier. Especially if I could have removable sides and back flap which I could carry around with me and remount anytime that I wanted. Just a thought.
Cheers, Stevo
No matter where you go, there you are!
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Andre,

If you get rolling with this concept I'll immediately be in the market for a 712M. I'm excited to see your design for this come together. :twisted:
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Hey Andre,
Have you seen this Serbian hard top?
http://youtu.be/xq3yjAm8qeY

Best wishes,
Ed
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

totaljoint wrote:Hey Andre,
Have you seen this Serbian hard top?
http://youtu.be/xq3yjAm8qeY

Best wishes,
Ed
Wow - that rocks - would be an amazing winter top - even just the front piece.
Looks like the guy did a great job only thing I would widh for is if he integrated it more with the original soft top cross supports
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker