Doetsch tech shocks

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Doetsch tech shocks

Post by undysworld »

berger wrote:Are the Ranchos not more money or at the very least the same price as the Doetsch? I thought you guys were all about supporting Pinz vendors!! :o

Get the Doetsch.
I guess I'm an old-timer. Back when I bought the Ranchos, I don't recall the Doetch's even being available. And yes, I bought the Ranchos from a supporting vendor.

I apologize if this is a hijack, but I was attempting to answer a couple guys' questions, not to push people toward the Ranchos. From my observations, Ranchos seem to rust just as much as other shocks used in a similar environment, IMHO.

Obviously, different folks have been pleased with different brands of shocks.

FWIW, this is not new, as there have been threads about Doetsch shocks going back seven years now. I believe this to be the first:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2742&p=17943&hilit=doetsch#p17943
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Just givin ya a hard time!! :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Anybody know what's up Doetsch Pinz shock 8132 availability?

Not listed at EI presently -- maybe out of stock ?

But here on the Doetsch site now? --> http://doetschshocks.com/i-10289113-8132-pinzgauer.html

Wonder if Doetsch decided to sell direct going after that astronomically HUGE Pinzgauer business :wink:
And are these properly valved, bushings, length and offset? Anyone buy direct and know?

I'm going to have to spring for a set of 6.

SAV is now selling Rancho's, claimed to be valved, and proper fitment for Le Pinz.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I bought 3 or 4 sets from Scott. They all came complete with the proper bushings, boots, etc. and had the correct valving and dimensions for the Pinz. They've held up very well. I'd give Scott a call to see if he still carries them or if not, then why not.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Guys,

I can answer this one. EI will no longer carry the Doetsch 8132. Quality in relationship to the Steel Bushing diameter hit a major stumbling block between EI and the manufacturer. So much of a stumbling block when they told us our customers were being picky and the bolts were a close tolerance I filmed the following. Please note this was ONLY for the manufacturer and I was a bit ticked.....after the 8th shock bushing return problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwkDWJMpnLo

In the end, I would rather not sell a product, than sell a product with problems. Especially a problem that we had REPEATEDLY brought to the attention of the manufacturer.

Bottom line, I AM a fan of the VALVING and Length dimensions of the Doetsch shock. I am assuming they are probably selling out the shocks we returned and I encouraged them to sell them direct so THEY could handle the warranty issues from their shitty quality control. The only redeeming grace is that they do not manufacture the actual shock, it comes from a large mainstream plant in Mexico. The one thing they had to do to deliver for the Pinz, (Steel bushings) they could not get right.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I can back Scott's assertion on this issue. Doetsch chose to use some stock steel tubing that they felt was "close enough" on the first set of these I got. They should have been actual machined bushings. I don't recall the details but I do remember contacting Scott.

My solution was to press the bushings out of the original shocks and install them in the new Doetsch shocks and all was good.

From then on, the sets of Doetsch shocks I purchased from Scott had the correct bushings. I don't know if this was done by Doetsch or by EI but they fit and worked great.

It's a shame that Doetsch chose to save a few cents/dollars rather than provide a complete product.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I bet someone doesn't know the difference between 5/8" and M16 :roll:
Which 5/8" is 0.025mm shy of the proper ID. Might be as dumb as that
too lazy or ignorant to use proper machine tooling. Or as Paul points out,
hey I have some 5/8" stock here that should be close enough :shock:

Scott, any plans to restock with an alternative?

ron
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ExpeditionImports
United States of America

Post by ExpeditionImports »

Hi Ron,

Probably not. Keep in mind we sold a LOT of the Doetsch shocks to the Sierra Leonen military for their Pinzgauers and had very good results. Honestly that contract paid for the R/D and testing to make us comfortable with the Doetsch. At this point the market to do the proper testing and verification's to offer a different model is cost/time prohibitive for a market that may garner 30-40 shocks a year.

ESPECIALLY when the FACTORY shock is readily available and while much more expensive than the Doetsch, it really is not that far out of line based upon the manufacturer quality (Excellent). We will be offering the factory shock in a few months once we can containerize a pallet from Graz. Airfreight kills any profit on them.

https://www.puch.at/en/spare-parts/main ... spx?LNG=en

For those looking for a cheap shock, order the Doetsch direct just make sure you pay with a credit card so you have recourse if you have issues. Honestly at this point if you do have issues it would be because DOETSCH is intentionally giving the middle finger to you as they have had the problem documented to them so well it is laughable. Our experience is a vendor/supplier issue, and at this point I do NOT know of a better aftermarket alternative. To put it in perspective....the return and replacement of 1 set of 4 shocks, negated the profit made on 12 shocks. When that happens time after time and manufacturer is not willing to step up, we have to pull the plug.

Cheers,

Scott
Expedition Imports Corporation
Vallejo, California
www.expedition-imports.com
"You didn't buy a Chevy..." "Hows that Amazon tech support working out...."
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I had the doestch shocks for a short term but they caused a lot of problems for me. Many broken shock bolts and the constant need to rebuild then after a couple outing became the norm. Finally tired of them and went back to rancho (which I hated to do). Looking forward to the availability of factory shocks, cost might be high up front but long term I expect a better return.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

4x4Pinz wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 am I had the doestch shocks for a short term but they caused a lot of problems for me. Many broken shock bolts and the constant need to rebuild then after a couple outing became the norm. Finally tired of them and went back to rancho (which I hated to do). Looking forward to the availability of factory shocks, cost might be high up front but long term I expect a better return.
Did you happen to have the original Doetsch shocks as pictured here:
IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg (490.38 KiB) Viewed 6758 times
They were made by Doetsch and were rebuildable. They were the first set I purchased, direct from Doetsch, and did not last a year. They corroded and leaked. Were quite pricey too.
About that time Scott began selling the non-rebuildable shocks and I switched to them. I never had a problem with them other than the incorrect bushings on the first set.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

That is the ones. Rebuilt them several times before realizing I was wasting my time and money. Soured me on buying any doestch shocks ever again.
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

Has anyone looked into Fox 2.0 smoothies? I had them on my van (attached) and fr as long as I had it they were golden. If you use the right seller you can provide them with the specifics f your ride like total weight, weight on each axle, and intended usage, and they will tune them for that before they ship them to you. Cost is sub $200/each.
Attachments
1AEB6A1B-2804-4B29-A2DB-336E7EDE24DF.jpeg
1AEB6A1B-2804-4B29-A2DB-336E7EDE24DF.jpeg (827.62 KiB) Viewed 6747 times