Engine Cover Repair

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
drrm80

Engine Cover Repair

Post by drrm80 »

I just picked up a 710 and i have been fixing it up for the past couple months since i got it. I have a couple cracks that i would like to repair on the service cover on top of the engine cover. I did some searching and found 1 post mentioning fiberglass. Ive tried JB weld, no luck , a flexable plastic adhesive from loctite, no luck and a 2 part epoxy i use at work....no luck. Im not too concerned on what it looks like because i am going to be coating it with a bedliner i just dont want it to recrack or get worse after i bedline it.

If fiberglass is the way to go then thats what ill do but i wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.
milesdzyn

Re: Engine Cover Repair

Post by milesdzyn »

Post a picture, that would help us give you better advice.

What ever you use it needs to be flexible to a degree as the original material is a little flexible.
My first thought would be SEM Brand Flexible Sem-Weld Product# 39927, It is a two part adhesive that remains flexible after curing.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

This would do the trick
Expensive depending on your cracks but perhaps craigslist or eBay has a used one?

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-hot- ... ystem.html
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Much cheaper than a new engine cover.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

First, drill a small (1/32" dia) hole at the end of the crack so that it doesn't continue to run. I repaired a crack in my engine cover (running from the edge inward about 2") by saturating a piece of 1" wide kevlar webbing with JB Weld and clamping it against the underside of the cover along the crack for 24 hours. I precleaned the repair area with acetone. I initially tried to fill the crack from the top side with JB Weld, but it made a bit of a mess and quickly failed. The key was the thin webbing material. You could most likely use a strip of cotton canvas or Cordura nylon to achieve the same reinforcement.
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe