Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
thedoeges

Fuel Pressure Questions

Post by thedoeges »

Hello,

I am thinking about installing an electric fuel pump. Here are a few questions:

Is there a good 24V brand, model?

What is the PSI required?

How would I "plug" the hole on the side of the engine where the mechanical pump is?

What is a good PSI for my Malpassi Filter King fuel pressure regulator?

Thank you for all your help!
berger
Canada

Re: Fuel Pressure Questions

Post by berger »

Search "electric fuel pump"

viewtopic.php?t=2481

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
thedoeges

Post by thedoeges »

Thank you!

FYI, I learned that the output pressure for the Malpassi Filter King regulator is supposed to be 1.88 PSI.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

IMHO if your running conventional carburetors stick with the mechanical fuel pump.
There's nothing wrong with mechanical. With carb's you need low PSI, not sure what
the Std. Pinz carb pressure is but it's going to be in the 5psi range, otherwise you will
force the float valve open and flood the carb. You will also need to place this class of
electric pump near the bottom to the tank, or you will find yourself out in the boonies
with a dead pump worn out from siphoning :cry:

On the other hand, if your running with fuel injection, you need a high pressure pump,
capable of a peak output of 80+psi, with typically a steady state of ~43psi -- determined
by your pressure regulator. Any electric fuel pump is better placed as low as possible
to the bottom of the tank. The obvious trade-off is a whack with a rock or bouncing rubble
taking your pump out. Some manufacturers can tolerate some degree of siphoning. You
have to be careful as the spec may call out a "wet" line siphon -- that is, the feed line above
the fuel level better be full of fuel -- always. The Pierburg class E2T's can suck on a dry line
on start up, if the maximum height from the bottom of the tank to the highest point on the
pump is less than 500mm. Some Pierburg models require a wet line! I dono about the
Bosch 044 types.

I run with injection, use the E2T model and run that guy just under 400mm max above the
bottom of the tank. I also added a Earl's Plumbing metal gate check valve in the output line
with a large capacity 30um filter -- that combo helps to prevent the line running dry just for
belts and suspenders for extend life (you gotta keep the check valve vertical so gravity closes
it).
thedoeges

Post by thedoeges »

That's good info! Thanks.