Wiper Motor Death!

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
technichen

Wiper Motor Death!

Post by technichen »

Well it begins. I've had the truck 3 weeks and the wiper motor decided to croak on me this morning.
I'm not upset considering its age, but it now looks like I'll be doing the wiper motor upgrade. I'm going to do a search on here , any good links to threads I might want to check out?
westernair
United States of America

Re: Wiper Motor Death!

Post by westernair »

Take yours apart first and replace all the grease I bet it just needs a major cleaning and adjusting.

For me 2 out of 3 times this works.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
technichen

Post by technichen »

Ok, I'll give it a try. I'll keep you posted!
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

Did you let the smoke out?

Mine got stuck on a bad linkage so I turned it off. Even after I turned it off it continued to smoke because of the "return to rest position" feature. I had to pull all the wires out of the wiper motor to stop it from melting down completely.
Matt

1972 710m
compunerdy
United States of America

Post by compunerdy »

Tim
1975 710K
technichen

Post by technichen »

OK, Confirmed!
Totally dead. :(
technichen

Post by technichen »

And now resurrected!!!! :shock: So... not giving up easily I took the hole dam thing apart. looking at and cleaning it again just in case I missed something. Just as I was about to toss it. I took a light and looked down the main gear and saw a piece of ???? I think it part of the gasket (which was rotted) hardly even visible. Cleaned it out again and re-greased. It was enough to hang it up in the middle of the rotation. It's ALIVE again and working with out hick-up! :D
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Nice going!

Those wiper motors can be kind of temperamental that way.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
dadnova
United States of America

Post by dadnova »

Glad you found the junk in the gears, for others who may have an issue:

My wiper motor did not work when I got my Pinz, motor was binding and or hitting the sides, however you want to look at it, so I loosened the screws and placed feeler gauges around the armature to evenly space the Armature, then tightened the screws back up, a little tweaking and spins freely now. Not enough horse power to spin if its touching or hitting as it tries to spin.
If you can't spin it freely with your fingers, try adjusting: to center the Armature.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I'll add that the rubber mount bushings can gradually deform from the force of the wiper drag; my motor started getting "cocked" at an angle which upset the distance between the crank and the arm on the wiper shaft. This eventually pulled the arm so far that it was not able to push back, and then bent the arm. The solution was to correct the motor mount; I used some large OD washers to spread the force over the rubber more evenly and straightened up the motor. Not hard to do, but not something that is obvious until problems arise.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Can you please elaborate on how you placed feeler gauges around the armature to center it before tightening up the screws? I should have thought of this, I know.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

I cant seem to get the armature to center. With everything lose, It still canters off to one side. It wont center. Its like the front pilot hole is out of alignment. Sound familiar , anyone?
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

It seems there is a brass bushing in front that needs to be replaced sometimes. I'm taking mine to the VW mechanic tomorrow (he has made some bushings before) because older VWs and Porsches have the same motor.
1976 710K
crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Ok, so my new mechanic, who lives way on the other side of town and specializes on old VWs, made a new bushing out of very good german brass, and the wiper motor now works like new, fast and smooth. $110 was the bill.
1976 710K
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

I tried to look up German brass in my mat'ls handbook but couldn't find it. Do I need to add "good"? :wink:
'76 710K