Door Locks - Why so expensive???

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
eToothpaste

Re: Door Locks - Why so expensive???

Post by eToothpaste »

Step 1 done! Find a lock that will fit in the hole. Im not perfectly happy with the way the bezel sticks out so far, but it'll do. I had to laser cut an adapter to keep it from spinning and am still waiting on a final version. Turns out the back door lock only has half as many notches as the front, so I had to modify the adapter.

What does the side door look like on a K? Is it the same latch mech and keyhole as the front? Is the keyhole in the same relative position to the latch? I would appreciate any help on that, if someone is interested in locking their K.
Matt

1972 710m
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Looking at my Swiss 710K it seems front and rear door locks are identical except for the inside handle attachment / position
Attachments
Outside front door lock
Outside front door lock
IMG_1224.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
Inside front door lock
Inside front door lock
IMG_1225.jpg (38.88 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
Outside rear door lock
Outside rear door lock
IMG_1226.jpg (43.37 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
Inside rear lock
Inside rear lock
IMG_1227.jpg (53.17 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

Did this go any further? Very interested in the outcome.
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

Ah yes, another project fallen through the cracks in old Putz. I haven't forgotten about it, though. Here is where I left off.

One of the parts came out like a melted blob because it was too finely detailed for the laser. I tried a 3D printer instead and it came out decent enough, but turns out it is also very functional.

I don't have pictures of the latch part, but it works well. The idea behind it is to be able to also lock or unlock the door from the inside. The through bolt holding the latch is keyed to a lever on the inside. This feature works well at this point.

My next step is simply linking the lock lever to the latch, probably just using a machine screw. There is a lot of interference inside the door, though. There is a collision that I haven't spent time on fixing yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt

1972 710m
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

So...are you working on the rear door or the cab doors to be able to unlock and lock from the inside? That is my biggest issue with the stock locks. Once locked from the outside, getting the door open from the inside does not function to my liking.

If you are able to make that part of the locking mechanism work would be a real bit of magic.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

The rear door latch is the exact same assembly as the front except that it is mounted in there backwards, if memory serves me.

The lock for the rear door is set up for a deadbolt, though, which is a mechanism I haven't put any thought into yet.
Matt

1972 710m
eToothpaste

Post by eToothpaste »

So I guess I should answer your question Morris, I'm working on the cab doors.

There is another possible way to make the locks cheaper: all the parts are available separately at SAV, and they are really cheap except for the actual lock cylinder. I can 3d print an adapter if someone finds a cheaper cylinder that fits that square cap part.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt

1972 710m