Cooper stt or Bfgoodrich km2

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ziegler

Cooper stt or Bfgoodrich km2

Post by ziegler »

Getting ready to get new rubber. Bother tires listed above are made in the U.S. I'd like your opinion on both tires before spending the $. Both are 10 ply tread and 3 ply side. 285/75-16. Thanks for your 2 cents. Zig
63rover
Canada

Re: Cooper stt or Bfgoodrich km2

Post by 63rover »

I will be no help! I have BFG on my Pinz and Cooper on my Land Rover. Each are great tires! I have no preference. How do the prices compare?

Clive
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

On road or off road, rocks...? don't know those brands well so I probably cannot help much. Sounds like if they are relatively close in price and you get good service from your tire people it may not be much of a difference except for your intended use. As far as road noise, the pinz will probably drown it out anyway.

I get mine from Treadwright and have for years. Have them on both vehicles and they perform well for me. There are those that will scoff at retreads but the technology has improved over the years.

What about Interco? Maybe check some of the off road magazines sometimes they have sales. There is a 4Wheel Parts truck and jeep fest coming to Denver soon and that is a great place to get discounts. Maybe there will be one in your area.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
ziegler

Post by ziegler »

Both run 250.00 each and will mainly be used on rocks. I have had interco trxxus on the truck for years but now are made in china....and run 280.00. I go out of my way nowadays (sp). to buy American. I can get 4 coopers for 780.00 because they have a sidewall blemish, just getting opinions before I press the buy it tab. Zig
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I've had them both. Cooper is a good tire manu that makes tires under several private labels also. (large tire retailers and auto parts stores)
My recommendation is for the one you can readily get replacements for locally. Call Cooper directly, you may get the local private label name. :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
steckmeyer
United States of America

Post by steckmeyer »

I replaced the BFG MT tires on my 710K with five Cooper Discover S/T Maxx tires (LT235/85R16). I don't know anything about rocks but the noise and vibration at 55+ MPH reduced significantly and she handles like a sports car with 35 psig tire pressure. I have these same tires on my Frontier truck and I know they are great in mud and snow.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I also have the Cooper S/T Maxx on both my Pinz's and I really like the traction and low road noise. I've never had the BFG's so I can't offer any comparison. In our area the BFG's are about $40 more per tire for some reason.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I think this debate goes on right across the 4X4 world.

Here in Australia we have an annual race called the "Bathurst 1000"....it's a race of the V8 Supercar series run every year and basically it's a "feud" between Holden (GM) and Ford over 1000km. Many of supporters of both sides camp on the mountain overnight and there are "Holden" and "Ford" camps and well lets say they are "dedicated".....Generation of families are either Holden or Ford supporters and woe-betide any family member that changes camp 8-)

I don't think BFG and Cooper supporters are quite so fanatical but I know guys in the Club that swear by their BFG's and those that swear by their Cooper's.

Personally I'm a BFG person and intend to fit 255/85X16 MT KM2's on the 718, as I'm going to use it mainly for touring.
I think MT's are a great tyre, an excellent compromise between road and bush track. They have good road manners especially on wet roads and are ideally suited for mild 4WDriving.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

255/85/16 is the best size which BFG make.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Personally, i would like a tire that lasts an unusual amount of time doing nothing.

Most of us drive our pinz occasionally, and with that, very carefully. Almost any tire will do what i need it to, for the limited off roading i take part in. Now find me a tire that doesnt dry rot and im a happy man!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

I have Cooper Discoverer STTs in 265/75-16.
Happy with them overall, massive improvement over the original Maloyas of course, but I don't know how they compare to BFGs...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Personally, I would like a tire that lasts an unusual amount of time doing nothing.
I have a set of brand new factory fitted Semperit's stored away under my house. (Non Swiss Army vehicles used Semperits)
Mind you they are 25 years old so should be as hard as rocks, so there is no way I'm going to use them on the road, but they will be perfect for the 712 when it ends up in a car museum and I'm looking down from above (or up from below) :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

darstar

Post by darstar »

New rubber is a good thing , but could be what's most important is the wear factor. My originals are smooth on the steer. Anyone know of camber adjustments ? My tire shop said the fronts have too much toe in ? Any one like to comment ?
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Anyone know of camber adjustments
There is no camber adjustment on the Pinny (apart from the spring heights) as it continually changes as the suspension moves (it's a shortcoming of the swing axle design)......that's the first thing you learn about Haflingers and Pinzgauers.
If the springs have sagged you have negative camber, and under acceleration you have positive camber on the front, while under braking you have positive on the rear.....it's also worth noting that if you've just lowered it off a jack you'll have heaps of positive camber, so you're probably best to go to a tyre store that understands swing axles and their setup.
The best you can do is follow the factory spring settings as regards camber.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Rotate often and swap the tire mounting so the inside become the outside edge. Helps to keep wear as even as possible
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker