Part I, the import.

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
aclark79
United States of America

Re: Part I, the import.

Post by aclark79 »

I'd love to hear thoughts on long term rust prevention. Has anyone here used rustoleum products or something like Fluid Film?
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Fluid Film does a great good from what I have seen. (I know the Canadian importer.) I have 3 gallons in my shop for various projects right now. It also works as an amazing lubricant. I used it in the gears of an old Lucas wiper motor as a test. Like all products it does have its own odour. The lanolin base is not unpleasant but it evident.

Cheers, Clive
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Move to Australia... :lol: (but not too close to the coast).
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Check the suppliers post
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6779
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Panama Canal baby!
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

So, been reading through the manuals. Lets talk oil. The instructions for lubricating chart lists engine oil, gearbox oil and final drive oil. Is the final dive the same as axle carrier? I can't find anywhere where it says what kind of oil to use in the wheel carriers.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Regular non-syn. 90w gear oil goes in the portal hubs. (or 85/140w)

Use a GL4 synthetic gear oil for the transmission and diffs (Redline MT90 probably being the best). The transfer case may benefit from Redline's Heavy Shockproof oil, or just put the MT90 in there too.

Basically, MT90 for anything but the hubs. The reason, pointed out by Jim, is that if/when you have hub leaks a synthetic oil will get onto your brake shoes and ruin them where as a regular oil can be cleaned off.

My personal portal hub oil choice: http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10042-8 ... %2F140+oil

For pretty much all older Euro transmissions (yours is a ZF, by the way)
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50304-Tr ... words=mt90

And what I use in transfer cases: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-58204-Sh ... of+redline

aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Awesome! Thank you, and I appreciate you making it easy. I've got coolant, grease and lead substitute waiting at my parents place (the first place I'll take it from the dock). I'll just order some of the recommended oils as well.
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Not very impressed with Horizon Auto Shipping, the importer I'm using. Getting information out of them about the move is like pulling teeth. I had to email twice to confirm the arrival day of the ship. Confirmed that it arrives today. Funny, all the ship tracker sites show it still in the Port of Oxnard in California. I'm pretty sure it won't make Tacoma Washington by 11 pm tonight. It took me all of 1 minute to go to the Port of Tacoma website and verify that the ship is scheduled to arrive on the 11th. I find Horizon's service to be lackluster at best.

In other news, opened the box with all the supplies I ordered.

Different oils (gear, hub, transmission). Coolant, orange triangles, fire exstinguisher LED road flares, and LED orange warning light for driving slow on the freeway, grease gun and grease, hearing protection for the freeway drive and some LED replacement headlights.

Pretty much set, need to buy some AMF at the autoparts store and some engine oil.
aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

So.... frustrating day.

For whatever reason the ship continues to sit in Oxnard Ca. It now is estimated to arrive on the 13th. That's a Thursday. Now Horizon tells me to expect 2 days processing and customs as well as agricultural spraying (this is the first time they have told me this. The representative told me that was common sense and I reminded her that I specifically told her multiple times that this was my first import and that I don't know these things, that is the kind of thing she is supposed to tell me!)

The port doesn't process anything over the weekend so, realistic time frame for delivery is Tuesday.

Well, headed home on the train and I'll come back when it's ready.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

And it's not over, yet. After USDA and customs you have the DMV to deal with. That last one was one of the main reasons I stopped doing this as a side business; the (state) government made it too hard to operate a business. They don't like anything unique and sure as hell don't like things from Europe... cheap, dangerous pot-metal tools and poisonous toothpaste from China, fine, but screw an old truck from Europe!

No matter what happens, feel lucky and think of the guy I helped out once who was trapped in a 7 MONTH long import with $1000's in extra fines.

Funny enough I was 5 minutes away from your truck over the weekend. That port is down the road from one of my favorite fish-fry joints.

aclark79
United States of America

Post by aclark79 »

Hah! At this point it would be faster if you had received it there and it shipped up I5 on a flatbed.

Oh well, I can be angry, but it won't change anything or make it go faster so... no point in staying mad.

I did have a long conversation with the shippers agent, I did some venting about their performance so far.
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Ahhh... customs... Sounds very similar to my experiences in Australia... :roll:

On the plus side - the NEXT one will be much easier :lol:
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Overseas shipping you have to look at like a home reno... When they say x weeks or months, double it and you may end up happy. They both always pooch the timelines!
I used to get so mad and so stressed, now sometimes I am slightly surprised if they make my "double the timeline"
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Horizon auto shipping is effective but not the best if you are impatient and unfamiliar with importing. Also picking your point of entry is critical. I have had two C303's roll through Horizon in the last 6 months with nothing more than minor shipping delays. The second one had the ignition left on and the batteries died but that was the shipping companies fault.