Radial tire or original Bias ,

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
darstar

Radial tire or original Bias ,

Post by darstar »

The 245 x 16 bias tire , non radial has been recommended by my tire store as a better choice. Hankook makes a bias tire 7.50 16 that looks a lot like the original equipment. I want a narrow tire for snow plowing etc. and it seems this is the only option i could find . any thoughts anyone ?
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Radial tire or original Bias ,

Post by David Dunn »

Sounds like a shop has a surplus of bias ply tires.
iirc, 235/85-16 is about the same height.

Remember that bias ply will have a flat spot until warmed up... in snow conditions? Tires should warm by spring :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
darstar

Post by darstar »

the problem with most radials is they are too wide when you get into the bigger tires. personally i do want radials , its just my tire shop, as do many up here in snow country say ,run the narrow 9" for better traction .. the narrow tires, like the Mayorca thats on the truck now. I run Swampers on my Samurai. ( 32 x 9" R ) they are good mud tires but not so well in snow because of the hard rubber. .712M sits in heated garage, plow ready. The 235/85 16 looks great, but the width....any ideas for a narrow Radial ? My tire store also says an aggressive bias narrow tire will do better in heavy snow......just looking for a compromise I guess.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I'm not going any further, but 235/ 85-16 are nominally 10 mm narrower than The Maloyas 245-16. 235 is 9.3" wide. The second number is the height ratio, obviously the 85 is 85% of width. Any single number is 100% ratio (nominal) such as the 245-16 or 7.5-16.
bias tires develop flat spots from sitting. The warmer the weather, the quicker they'll true themself running.

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

One last thing to think about. Unless you load the truck with weigh, you will hava most all your weight and traction on the outer edge of the tires.
Back when I had a 712, I replaced the Maloyas that had never been flipped on the rims. The wear had barely made it to the inside of the tread. The tires stood rimless looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa

edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

May want to look at the Bridgestone Blizzak W965 if your looking for dedicated winter tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... mpare1=yes
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You can't go thinner than a 235. (and why would you try?)

Bias ply tires suck and that advice from the store is bad unless this is a farm vehicle and you plan on staying in dirt at 20 mph. Find a radial 255/85/16 and you will be happy.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

For snow, consider the TreadWright retreads with their "kedge grip" (https://www.treadwright.com/individual- ... 85R16.00-E). Granted, we haven't had any hard winters for the last 3 or 4 seasons since we got these but we've never chained up to pull vehicles free since we got these.

I'd still take a radial over a bias ply for snow and ice.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
darstar

Post by darstar »

I plan on radials , but , for pure plowing snow it is posable biased is the best. Remember there is over 300 lbs. on the plow and steer tires. ...so , what would you guys do as to size and brand. I have been looking at Goodyear wrangler authority 235/85/16. Or 245/75/16 in Hankook MT tire
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Do you want 30.47" (245) or 31.73" (235) diameter tires?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

is a great site for comparing tire sizes.

As others here have wisely suggested, which tire is readily available locally? Another thought, do you have and plan to use the tire chains?

Good luck.

Clive
darstar

Post by darstar »

Here is an update on finding the right tire for my app. Today I broke down ( mentally) and drove in the back way to the Walmart tire shop.i had them put on 6 of their private label Goodyear Wranglers 265/75 R16 . I wanted their 235/85R16 as they were closer to the orig 245/16, but the 265 was the only size they carry up here in snow country. These tires were hard to pass up, carried snow rating sign, , softer rubber for better traction ,all this plus 1300.00 out the door.!

Once they found a way to lift the Penz it took about an hour., quite painless. Changing from the orig. 245/16 bias to these radials was a new experience , I had now what felt like part time power steering., even witH the big tires ! The ride was smoother' , but the noise from the drive train,increased to a very high pitch. Not sure why as it seemed so quilt before. '.
00000000000000000000----99999===============================================
63rover wrote:Do you want 30.47" (245) or 31.73" (235) diameter tires?

As others here have wisely suggested, which tire is readily available locally? Another thought, do you have and plan to use the tire chains?

Good luck.

Clive
============
darstar

Post by darstar »

Here is an update on finding the right tire for my app. Today I broke down ( mentally) and drove in the back way to the Walmart tire shop.i had them put on 6 of their private label Goodyear Wranglers 265/75 R16 . I wanted their 235/85R16 as they were closer to the orig 245/16, but the 265 was the only size they carry up here in snow country. These tires were hard to pass up, carried snow rating sign, , softer rubber for better traction ,all this plus 1300.00 out the door.!

Once they found a way to lift the Penz it took about an hour., quite painless. Changing from the orig. 245/16 bias to these radials was a new experience , I had now what felt like part time power steering., even witH the big tires ! The ride was smoother' , but the noise from the drive train,increased to a very high pitch. Not sure why as it seemed so quilt before. '.
00000000000000000000----99999===============================================
63rover wrote:Do you want 30.47" (245) or 31.73" (235) diameter tires?

Good luck.

Clive
============
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

darstar wrote: Changing from the orig. 245/16 bias to these radials was a new experience , I had now what felt like part time power steering., even witH the big tires ! The ride was smoother'
See? That's why pretty much everybody here was suggesting radials.
darstar wrote: but the noise from the drive train,increased to a very high pitch. Not sure why as it seemed so quilt before. '.
I'll go out on a limb and guess that the noise has not increased any. It might be noisier due to rolling easier, and thus have less load on the drive train, but I doubt it. Rather, I suspect you can now hear the drivetrain better since you no longer have those rock-hard Maloyas banging away on the pavement. ??
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Welcome to the neurosis of, "What's that noise? Is that a new noise or an I just noticing it? Why did that noise go away? or my favourite from this summer, Why does that noise only happen when I place my foot there?" :roll:

A load of anything makes it worse, especially if it rattles too!

Cheers, Clive
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

I have run Goodyear G90....they only come in 7.50RX16 and are the tallest 7.50 you will find. I can,t fault them, had them for 7 years on my 710K....(not used every day but maybe once a week) In mud great, in snow great.....even in Eastern Polish winters. I have just fitted them to my Jeep Wrangler JK and you know what, if they did them in a big enough size, I would have them on my Unimog. I ran them on Series Landrovers that I owned and on Defenders in the British Army.......I never had a problem with them......they do seem to wear quickly at first, then they settle down. Oh I have just replaced them with new on the Pinz and bought 8 more to store in a dark corner of the barn in case they become hard to get. Edit to add.....these are a tough tyre, made in South Africa for the crap they call roads out in the beyond, you would find it hard to damage them, they are 10 ply.
Aiming to introduce UK Politicians to Piano wire and Lamposts!