Parking Brake Malfunction...Slipping Handle

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
O'ahuPinz
New Zealand

Parking Brake Malfunction...Slipping Handle

Post by O'ahuPinz »

Hey guys, Iʻve been poking around the forum to see if anyone has the same problem that I do but I havenʻt seen much. I have seen some posts that allude to my problem but none directly address it so Iʻm not sure if itʻs common or if Iʻm just lucky but here it is...

My parking brakes have always worked fine. In fact, when I park on an incline and pull the handle the vehicle stays put IF I maintain tension on the handle by pulling it back. Recently however, the parking brake handle started to slip - slowly retracting - thereby allowing the vehicle to roll. So once I pull the handle back to the "lock position" and let go, it starts to slowly slip until about half way down. I began noticing it on hills at first where it would slip ever so slightly but the vehicle remained stopped. Then gradually over time the handle started slipping more to the point where the vehicle started to roll. Now itʻs so bad that even when the vehicle is on level ground the handle will slip half way down.

I was inspecting the parking brake system the other day - lines, pulleys, springs, etc. and everything looks like in proper functioning order. What it seems like to me is that the handle itself is malfunctioning - does that make sense? When I used to pull the brake handle there was a slight ratcheting sound before, it was tight and worked solid. Now it doesnʻt lock at all and just feels squishy. Therefore my questions are: 1) could there be any other part of the brake system that could cause the handle to slip as described? and 2) I see on SAV a "pull rod housing" which is that sleeve the handle slides into, could the problem be in that housing? It looks like thereʻs a locking mechanism in there at the top of the shaft just behind the dash.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you guys might have. Thanks in advance.
E ola pono, e ola no...
undysworld
Norway

Re: Parking Brake Malfunction...Slipping Handle

Post by undysworld »

I'd disconnect the cable at the rear of the truck, where it attaches to the lever arm. If the cable does not un-twist when you disconnect it, then that may be the problem.

When you connect that cable, you're supposed to twist the cable before attaching it to the arm. You'd have to check the manual for the specific number of turns. It's my understanding that this twist helps keep the handle locked.

Of course, you may have some other failure going on, either instead of or in addition to this.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I would think that your parking break "catch" (#7) may be broken
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The pull handle "catch" is a friction issue, and it only works well (gives enough friction) when it is new. As the shaft wears, and the hole in the catch wears, the geometry is such that it won't give enough friction. Replacement with new seems to be the only solution; I did that for my 712W and it works very well. But on my 710M, I can't count on the brake as the handle can creep inward, releasing the parking brake. This truck must always be left in low range and first or reverse on any significant slope. I just haven't decided to spend the $$$ necessary to replace the assembly.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I removed the pin and let the cable go slack. Rewound it 4 turns and I will see how it works, if not I may have to get a new #7 per Jim.
I always have to leave it in 1st or rev in addition to the brake as well.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
O'ahuPinz
New Zealand

Post by O'ahuPinz »

Thanks guys for your input. I was finally able to find some time this past holiday weekend to work on it. Long story short, the parking brake is fixed and all is well in that department. As stated before, the rest of the parking brake system seemed to be working fine. The problem as far as I could tell was in the locking mechanism in the parking brake handle assembly. So rather than pay $465 for a new assembly from SAV I just got the little pieces for the locking mechanism (#s 7, 8, 10, 11 - the catch, washers, and spring) and replaced those. Once I put it all back together the parking brake pulled back and locked perfectly! So it appears that the lock components were just plain worn. And even though I probably didnʻt have to replace everything in the lock, paying $45 for all the pieces one time was a much better deal than spending $465.

On a side note, when I park the vehicle on a hill I always do kill the engine and park it in the lowest gear. The main problem for me was that since I have to drive through several locked gates when accessing conservation land that I work on, I wanted to keep the engine running while I quickly jumped out of the vehicle, opened the gate, jumped back in, and drove through. Some of those gates occur on slight inclines so it was just a pain in the butt to have to kill the engine just to start it back up again a few seconds later, not to mention unnecessary wear on the engine. That problem however is now in the past. :D Mahalo!
E ola pono, e ola no...
Rookie
United States of America

Post by Rookie »

Awesome to find this thread as I was having the same problem on mine will have to order this from sav thanks this is and always has been a great source for the pinz community
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The main problem for me was that since I have to drive through several locked gates when accessing conservation land that I work on, I wanted to keep the engine running while I quickly jumped out of the vehicle, opened the gate, jumped back in, and drove through.
Sounds like "The Gods must be Crazy" scenes! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIBldJ9YmmM
Jim M.
712W and 710M
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

I'm having the same problem in my Swiss 710K. I pulled the parking brake apart and noted the asymmetrical shape of the catch. Thought initially it was due to wear but I think that's how they are originally. I put it back together, and include the 4-5 turns of the cable that was not there to begin with (took a bit to figure out which way to turn) but still slipping. I guess I will buy those four parts and hopefully it will be fixed too. Is it possible that the rod is what is worn? or maybe the spring lost its sprung?

I also found that there were a bunch of grease in the catch/spring/lock housing, is this normal to grease them a lot? I suppose some for the rod is fine.

Kelvin
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

The park brake is very interesting. Mine was not holding so I took ir completely apart, cleaned everything I could with brake cleaner (also used it on my brakes) returned it to original looks. Worked fine, don't forget the twists. I had also bought the replacement discs and gave them to the buyer when I sold it, did not need them, they were still in the original box from SAV.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
newtopinz
United States of America

Post by newtopinz »

So don't use grease? because I'm thinking the grease is what is causing the problem. I will try to clean it out next. Thanks
Kelvin
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I did not take the handbrake apart in the cabin, I fixed the brake assembly in the wishes hat and that fixed the part in the cabin. there is a fill port in the brake cable in the cabin that accepts oil for the cable for lubrication. Maybe a little oil down the shaft once in a while.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Morris!
I haven't been on here much lately, but looky who's here too! And a post from Jim M. from back in the day too, but sadly no Jim M. here today.
Sorry to hijack this post, but it brought back some memories! Maybe I'll see you again over at Linden Engineering one of these fine days.
Cheers,
Paul
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me