Brake Booster Vacuum Query

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ako

Brake Booster Vacuum Query

Post by ako »

Unfortunately my Pinz was missing a few different bits and pieces when purchased.

One missing item was the vacuum hose (and check valve) the runs from the motor to the brake booster.

I have the banjo fitting on the manifold, so I am going to try and source some hose locally. It costs me $10/lb to ship from SAV or EI, so I am trying to procure what I can locally.

The issue I have is when I reached in under the steering column to check the brake booster, there was just a hole.

Item 11 (suction connection) from the below diagram was missing :

Does anyone have a photo of this part? Is it plastic or metal? Is it possible it was pushed into the vacuum housing?

The exploded diagram on the SAV website (group 07 05) does not show this as a separate item.

http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=07-05

Any help would be appreciated.
GRCameron
United States of America

Re: Brake Booster Vacuum Query

Post by GRCameron »

On my truck the booster has a nipple that appears to be a part of the housing. The check valve is inline. The parts are detailed in group 08-01.

If you have an open hole it may be a booster housing that was replaced at some time. Many check valves can be found that fit into the housing with a rubber grommet. NAPA has this item: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0480268630 which you might be able to adapt with a little effort.
Attachments
NWMDC.jpg
NWMDC.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
ako

Post by ako »

Thanks for that.

Will probably need to remove the assembly to get a proper look at it. Probably find another 10 things to replace when I am there :mrgreen:
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Look at that pc

the nipple sits inside the main case held ny a rubber piece, but there are no part numbers available for either of these items

I have linked to the pic of this auction: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pinzgauer-710-71 ... 48845ccd40
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
ako

Post by ako »

Thanks for the pic - very helpful.

I have the rubber grommet but not the barbed nipple.

Will need to take my booster out and visit all the truck shops.
GRCameron
United States of America

Post by GRCameron »

I need to get out a mirror and inspect my booster. I was using the "eyes" in the end of my fingers and didn't feel any grommet in the housing. I pushed and pulled on the hose to see if the nipple would wobble around, and it didn't. My truck is a '79 - no idea what differences there are in the various years. I suspect the booster is a pretty generic item that is made Pinz specific by the push rod and a few other things that are add-on's.

A good parts house with live, experienced human beings behind the counter is the place you are looking for. If you go to one of the typical "auto parts stores", they don't have a clue if it's not in the computer. You've been to those kind of places, I just know it. The good places are nearly extinct.

I once went into a supply house (Bearings Supply Co., Sacramento, CA) in search of a main shaft, bearings, bushings, and synchros for a Muncie SM465 truck 4-speed transmission. One of the guys at the counter called out part numbers from memory. His coworker confirmed the numbers, also from memory, and I had the parts in my hands in about two minutes. Those are the kinds of places becoming extinct. :(
George Cameron
Yarnell, AZ
1979 Pinz 710M
Molon Labe
ako

Post by ako »

So I reached up and pulled the rubber grommet out this morning. It is an original FAG brand. I think when they decommissioned my truck they just ripped the hose out barb and all.

Got some replacement hose and a check valve on Sunday.

Now I just need to find a barb to join the hose to the grommet (that's just a drill bit to hold things in place).

Also if anyone can explain the routing of the hose from down near the shifter mechanism up to the brake booster it would be great. When these bits are missing from the start it makes it a bit harder to work out.

I know from the manual I need to make an upwards look from the manifold to prevent fuel condensing and running down to the brake booster. I have then seen photos running down to the gear shift area. After that it is a bit of guess work.
ako

Post by ako »

GRCameron wrote:A good parts house with live, experienced human beings behind the counter is the place you are looking for. If you go to one of the typical "auto parts stores", they don't have a clue if it's not in the computer. You've been to those kind of places, I just know it. The good places are nearly extinct
I have a few places like that, but we struggle with English, and my Hindi is rubbish. It is easiest for me to take photos or diagrams or the broken part then we can work it out eventually. :lol:
ako

Post by ako »

So I found a brass fitting that will work.

A 10mm barb on one end, and the threaded end is 14mm. When you push the 14mm end into the grommet, it is a very tight fit.

In Australia we say it is toight like a tiger. :wink:

Once I work out a routing that will work I am on the way to ticking off one more item.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

see, it pays to take a pic every now and then...

the rubber hose is left of the housing for the high-low selector, goes in front of the steering column, towards the master brake system
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
ako

Post by ako »

Hotzenplotz wrote:the rubber hose is left of the housing for the high-low selector, goes in front of the steering column, towards the master brake system
Thanks, very clear now.

Much appreciated. :wink: