Tire size for a 710M

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
PINZDKH
United States of America

Tire size for a 710M

Post by PINZDKH »

I'm looking to replace the five tires (incl spare) on my 710M. I have the factory wheels. From what I've seen on this forum, the most recommended size is 255/85r16. Availability is poor at best. I've been looking at a tire size comparison chart and I've been comparing that tire to a 285/75r16. They compare as follows: (I did what I could with colors - table formatting was lost)

285/75-16 255/85-16 Difference
Diameter inches (mm) 32.83 (833.9) 33.07 (839.9) 0.24 (6) 0.7%
Width inches (mm) 11.22 (285) 10.04 (255) -1.18 (-30) -10.5%
Circum. inches (mm) 103.14 (2619.77) 103.88 (2638.62) 0.74 (18.85) 0.7%
Sidewall Height inches (mm) 8.42 (213.75) 8.53 (216.75) 0.12 (3) 1.4%
Revolutions per mile (km) 614.31 (381.71) 609.92 (378.98) -4.39 (-2.73) -0.7%

The biggest difference is the width, with the 285/75r16 coming in at 1.18" wider. I realize that if I put too wide of a tire on the factory wheel it will wear worse in the middle as it is forced to become a bicycle tire by squeezing in the sides. Rim width recommendation range is 7.50-9.00". That probably kills that idea...

Has anyone had any experience with this size tire on a 710 Pinz? Having low pressure and the tire coming off the rim isn't much of a concern as I'm not into the rock climbing thing.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Tire size for a 710M

Post by Jimm391730 »

With radial tires, the center doesn't wear differently at different tire pressures as as the radial belts keep the same (virtually the same) circumference at the middle as well as at each edge regardless of pressure. With bias ply tires this was an issue, but not so much with radials.

I've ran 285/75R16 on the stock rims without any problem, except that the wider tire does make steering effort worse. The stock rims just pull in the sidewalls more. Unless you plan to run in very soft sand, I'd recommend using a 265/75R16 tire. This is even more common a size, and is less likely to cause some installers to take pause (they won't install tires that they feel are "too big" for the rim - for legal reasons). I'm using this size on both our 712W and 710M; the M did have 285s before (and the W had 295s!). After driving on the wider tires for years, I felt the need to return to a smaller, more "normal" sized tire for these trucks and felt that this was a good decision.

Lastly, all the most recent tires on my trucks have been purchased from TreadWright and are retreads. I have not had a single tire issue with the retreads yet, after a combined 7 years of use. But my normal tire shop (America's Tire, same as Discount Tire) would not install the retreads for me (again, for "liability" reasons). I split a bottle of heavy Airsoft pellets between all the tires and had the tire shop put them in as they mounted them, and then didn't bother to balance as the pellets automatically balance the tires.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

Jim-

Thank you for the response and the information. Do you by chance have any photos you can share showing these tires on your truck?

Thanks again-

DKH
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Is the pellet trick to get around having to balance because the tire is not centered on the axle? I thought I read somewhere you had to have a special adapter to balance these wheels because of the portals?

Is that correct? How large of a bottle of pellets are we talking, interesting trick I never heard of.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I'll second the narrower tires.

The portals have nothing to do with the balancing. What you have seen regarding a n adapter for balancing is due to the rims being LUG centric as opposed to the conventional hub centric. With most wheels the big center hole is used to center the wheel for balancing, with the Pinz an adapter is bolted to the wheel and the center hole in the adapter is used to center the wheel.

Now after the long winded explanation, many owners have had no problems having new tires balanced on a standard balancing machine without using an adapter. Depends on the wheel.

As Jim said the pellets work well.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Ah, Get it now. Thanks

Tires are in my future in maybe a year or so...
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

PINZDKH wrote:I'm looking to replace the five tires (incl spare) on my 710M. I have the factory wheels. From what I've seen on this forum, the most recommended size is 255/85r16. Availability is poor at best.
Order them.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Do you by chance have any photos you can share showing these tires on your truck?
265/75R16 on our 710M: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... f=9&t=9874. These are stock rims.

Same size on the 712W (5th pic): http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =6&t=10008. These are custom 8" wide rims on stock Pinz rim centers.

The pellets are just Airsoft pellets (plastic BBs for "toy" guns), they can be had in different weights. I think I used 0.20 gram pellets. They work this way: if you think of a tire that is heavier on one side, and you spin it, the heavy side pulls the tire and wheel out that direction as it spins, making it "wobble". Since the pellets are free floating inside, the tire "wobbles" out towards the heavy side, leaving the pellets behind so they slide around to the opposite side of the tire. So now the tire has a heavy side, and all the pellets congregate on the opposite side, adding weight on the light side to counter the heavy side of the tire and do the balancing automatically. So if you might expect to put 2 oz of lead weights on the rim to balance the tire, you need 2 oz of pellets inside to do the same thing (actually a bit less, since the pellets stay at the inside of the tread, further out than weights on the rim would be). Of course the pellets don't do anything until the tire spins fast enough to keep them thrown out against the tread, but tire balance is not important at low speeds. At high speeds they work great.

A package like this gives 2.2 pounds of pellets: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crosman-Airso ... t./9222912 and spit evenly, gives 5 oz of pellets split into 7 tires on a 712.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

I got antsy and ordered a set last night. If I would've seen Jim's pic first I probably would've gone with that size (265) but I decided to pop for the wider 285/75r16 in the BFG KM2. Will post pics once I get them mounted. Thanks for all the advice guys.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I did the air soft pellets as well. bought the container, split them into 5 equal baggies and had the tire guys pour them into the tires when being mounted. Best deal around.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

You won't be sorry. I have the same tire but in 295 on the stock rims. They perform fabulously. Steering is not an issue as long as you don't try to move the wheel when stationary. Not a problem for us old guys who learned to drive on standard steering tractors but seems to be for the power steering crowd. Could be why they break tie rod ends too!? When you get the tires mounted I would be very interested to find out what you get as an actual footprint. As you can see from the attached photo my 295s are nowhere near 12 inches wide. With the suspension on the 710 set as it is I rarely even get the inside of the tread dirty. I will likely have the tires remounted at some point so I can wear out the inside too. I don't run heavily loaded so that likely contributes.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Clive

PS I went with these because I got them barely used from a jacked up Dodge guy for a song.
Attachments
295width.gif
295width.gif (111.6 KiB) Viewed 9642 times
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

Hey that's great news! I'll post pics after I mount them and will try to remember to measure the footprint as well.
Thanks!
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I have Treadwright 245/75/16 retreads on a goodyear wrangler casing for a 9 inch foot print and I thought it was enough to get me through most things. Haven't thought of wider, though your print seems to be very wide was well.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

Santa came early!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PINZDKH
United States of America

Post by PINZDKH »

Too much rain to get out and get the new tires mounted...
:| :|
Attachments
pinz blocked.jpg
pinz blocked.jpg (640.06 KiB) Viewed 9556 times