Wheel spacers

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
MACH
Mexico

Wheel spacers

Post by MACH »

We tipped over on a side slope yesterday, 3 full turns and crashed on a tree, my brother was driving ; not a single scratch on him but broke the windshield and frame, and some damage to the roll bars.

I am looking for some wheel spacers to get a wider track– it has an electric steering (equinox + epowersteering.com electronics)-, do you know who sell spacers or has drawings so I can have them build ?

Any experience with the spacers?

Thanks in advance.
rmel
United States of America

Re: Wheel spacers

Post by rmel »

You could try these guys, https://www.uswheeladapters.com/
Probably a custom job. I was going to call them myself for an adapter
Pinz<-->Rover -- more for flexibility around spare tires.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Wow, glad you guys are okay!!
If you check some recent threads about alternate wheels, most of them have a wider track than stock. Not the same impact on the wallet as a set of spacers, though...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Glad all are ok!
Pics?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

rmel wrote:You could try these guys, https://www.uswheeladapters.com/
Probably a custom job. I was going to call them myself for an adapter
Pinz<-->Rover -- more for flexibility around spare tires.
I'd be interested in a set of spacers, especially given the price of the trail ready wheels. Spacers would be a much more economical solution...
1972 710m
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I would recommend talking with Lenny at MotorSport Tech - they are a real manufacturer who also sells them under a number of other names such as Stahl, Adaptec and Bora and supplies them to other resellers. Made in the USA with US made materials

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

Lenny Stahl <motorsportjr@gmail.com>

I recently had a set made by him and it worked out to $75 each or $300 a set for 1 inch thick (the minimum possible on a Pinzgauer due to the factory wheel studs). I haggled with him and got shipping included. go with an 8 inch outer diameter spacer as I used 7.5 inch and the counterbore holes require the use a very thin wall socket to attach the spacers to the wheels.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Haf-e wrote:I would recommend talking with Lenny at MotorSport Tech - they are a real manufacturer who also sells them under a number of other names such as Stahl, Adaptec and Bora and supplies them to other resellers. Made in the USA with US made materials

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

Lenny Stahl <motorsportjr@gmail.com>

I recently had a set made by him and it worked out to $75 each or $300 a set for 1 inch thick (the minimum possible on a Pinzgauer due to the factory wheel studs). I haggled with him and got shipping included. go with an 8 inch outer diameter spacer as I used 7.5 inch and the counterbore holes require the use a very thin wall socket to attach the spacers to the wheels.
Good price for sure, I will check this out, thanks!
1972 710m
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Pinz<-->Rover -- more for flexibility around spare tires

There was a guy years ago who had an adapter made to go from the Pinz hub 5x160mm to the older LR Disco wheels with 5x165mm bolt circle - it was interesting as it did allow access to the adjuster holes with the rims installed - good for rinsing out the drums after mud also. I don't really care for the look of shiny wheels on a Pinz however...

I think the backspacing on the older LR Disco rims was reasonable also - not sure what the numbers are...

Specs are 5x160mm PCD (bolt circle) and a center hole of 4.72" (or smaller depending on what you want to do) with an outer diameter of 8 inches. 1 inch minimum thickness.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I did some quick checking and the land rover Discovery rims are 6 and 7 inch wide for their 16 inchers - the ET is 33 - so the overall backspacing works out to be:

LR Disco 6x16 rim - 115mm / 4.5 inches backspacing

LR Disco 7x16 rim - 128mm / 5.0 inches backspacing

The stock Pinz rim are 6.5 inches wide with an ET of 72 to 75 mm (depending on what source you source you use as they are not marked) - Here is what I measured:

Pinz steel 6.5x16 rim - 168mm / 6.6 inches backspacing

So - if you add the spacer on to the lower backspacing of the LR Disco wheel the tires will end up sticking out a fair amount - about 2.5 inches or so... too much?
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

Careful! Land Rover Disco 1 and Defender are 5 x 165.1 mm ( Actually 5 x 6.5") They are a carry over from the Series truck days.

Disco 2 is 5 x 120mm and the alloy rims take oddball nuts.

Good luck.

Cheers, Clive

PS I help my friend at his Land Rover parts shop.
MACH
Mexico

Post by MACH »

THANKS A LOT , HERE ARE SOME PICS

HOW THICK, DO YOU THINK THE SPACERS SHOULD BE?
Attachments
PINZ B.JPG
PINZ B.JPG (560.46 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
PINZ A.JPG
PINZ A.JPG (458.31 KiB) Viewed 7562 times
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Yikes! Good your buddy didn't lose his head over this one -- either from the crushed window frame or you :wink:

The spacer thing depends upon the tire width you like to have, your rim off-set, and how close you want to get the
tire extending at or beyond the chassis with a spacer. In the extreme, your tires could extend too far beyond the
frame resulting in body damage due to hitting an obstacle even at low speed.

Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Not the first time this has happened:
This truck rolled 4-6 times, and was only stopped by a tree (which had to be cut down to free the truck) back in 2003. Driver and passenger walked away with sore ribs and knee. Surprisingly, after recovery, inflated tires, oil, gas, and batteries, it was DRIVEN 80 miles to a shop for full restoration! Tough trucks, but makes me wonder about painting them white!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
MACH
Mexico

Post by MACH »

MAY BE THE MILKMAN TRUCK´S CURSE.

ACTUALLY, I WAS WALKING, OUT OF THE PINZ SHOWING THE WAY AND MY BROTHER WAS DRIVING, THE SLOPE DID NOT LOOK LIKE MUCH, THE FRONT TIRE ON THE DOWN SIDE STEEPED OVER A ROUND ROCK AND SLIPPED AWAY, THAT WAS ENOUGH TO MAKE THE RIG ROLL OVER, EVERYTHING HAPPENED IN SLOW MOTION, MY BROTHER JUMPED OUT OF THE TRUCK AFTER THE FIRST TURN. IT DID TWO MORE TURNS, LANDED UPSIDE AND KEPT GOING DOWN HILL UNTIL IT HIT A TREE.

WE DROVE IT, BACK HOME.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Got me thinking about this problem, how much do you have to increase track width versus added stability.

I did find an interesting paper on the subject: https://www.accidentreconstruction.com/ ... ers[1].pdf
Essentially the key measure is Static Stability Factor (SSF). It's the ratio of 1/2 the Track Width divided by Center of Gravity.
It's a pretty simple formula that essentially says if you increase your Track width by X% you get a corresponding improvement
in stability.

You have to measure this on your truck given it will vary by your tire and off-set, but I would assume most are in the ballpark
of 5' Track width as measured C-C of the tire. Center of gravity is going to be a huge variable depending upon mod's and
loading etc. You want SSF to be >1.0. I'm betting some of us are below that and thus pretty fragile stability. That is, a
center of gravity of 2.75' would be 0.9 -- tipsy! To get this to 1.0 add 3" spacer on all wheels, e.g. increase Track by 0.5'.
Good luck going though the Rubicon though. I have no idea what a stock Ping C-of-G is.