Coil spring spacers?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
NEWFISHER

Re: Coil spring spacers?

Post by NEWFISHER »

I have a weekend coming up that's open, If I can secure a spring compressor that works ( I have tried the all-thread singles and jaw style with no success) I will have space and a couple days to tear into it, fab some spacers and have it together before the boys at the shop need the lifts back to run a business :)
Pics and some measurements for those interested if it works. If my system is simple, I will make a couple extras unless someone beats me to this and I would gladly purchase your efforts
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Count me in if you make a set. I wonder what size I'd need... 1" doesnt seem like much
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

audiocontr wrote:Count me in if you make a set. I wonder what size I'd need... 1" doesnt seem like much
Said the nun to the priest :wink:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

If memory serves, if you need a 1"lift use a 1/2" slug on each side. I wish I could help more. :oops:
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

something is pushing me towards a 3 or 4" lift. My sag is quite substantial. is a 2" slug out of the question?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I wouldn't, would be too "tippy". Personally if you need that much lift, you need new or stiffer springs.
Mark

68 Haffy
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

audiocontr wrote:something is pushing me towards a 3 or 4" lift. My sag is quite substantial. is a 2" slug out of the question?
You do not want to lift it taller than the capable operating range of the swing axle assembly or differential problems will occur.

I'm just trying to get back to factory, if 3-4 inches is needed you definitely need oe height springs first
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I have renewed interest in this project.. Working on a possible new run..... Be patient! :wink:
Mark

68 Haffy
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

I would be interested in a known working , previously made spacer that could be purchased. Its getting dangerously close to our "season of camping wheeling etc" and I need to get mine up off the right front tire asap.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

NEWFISHER wrote:I would be interested in a known working , previously made spacer that could be purchased.
Good luck with that. You did notice that these threads go back like 4 years, didn't you? As far as I know, the only "known working, previously made spacer" is that to which Mark has already referenced and indicated that he is working on a "possible new run".

Considering that these are 40 year old trucks, and that they were rare even when new, and that spacers aren't needed except in cases where the springs are shot or the vehicle is "tubby", there probably just isn't a huge demand. As Mark said: Be patient! :wink:
NEWFISHER wrote:After talking with David it may be a worn front spring issue. I just need to pull it apart and take some measurements of the springs to verify sag.
Since the truck is inoperable currently, and since you'll need to remove the springs to install spacers anyway, perhaps you should use the time to hunt up a compressor and take those measurements of the springs.

If your springs are shot, or unequal, then you're probably going to need new springs anyway, spacers or not. (IMHO, it would be more desirable to fix the problem right than to engineer a band-aid for it.)
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Thanks Undy where as most of these are 40 years old and worn, mine is in really decent cup/rust free shape and the truck is driven daily. Having it torn down and inop for " be patient" isn't an option at this time. I will tear into it today and get it lifted back up after winch installed.
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Just finished. Sits 1/4 higher than the rear but with my wife or a buddy in it 400 lbs plus and light gear out back it should be fine. I have alot of material to machine if needed to drop it down a little. Limit straps and shocks have plenty of travel and all of my pins, cups and spacers look new. Zero rust or pitting. Maybe the 6,400 km is correct?
uploadfromtaptalk1463349679276.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463349679276.jpg (73.61 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
uploadfromtaptalk1463349661900.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463349661900.jpg (71.78 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Finished what?
What did you end up installing/making?
Thx
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

Once I had the spring assembly out, I measured the upper cup mount stud ( 30mm) and the cup tit, them machined a spacer to slip up over the upper mount with a recessed area to accept the cup tit. I need to pull it back out and shave a little off the top portion to fine tune the ride height. I have an idea that will make it much simpler to duplicate without a lathe.
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

I was borrowing a spring compressor and trying to rush through getting it lifted and the compressor returned. I have now purchased the oem compressor, which is very well engineered and safe to use, and now have some time to pull the front end apart a few times to fine tune the spacer and will post what I come up with as a final solution that can be bought and lightly fabbed to work without an end mill or lathe for the driveway warrior.