Importing into Canada

All things not relating to the other forums.
tom338

Importing into Canada

Post by tom338 »

Hello,
I am looking into importing a truck into Canada. I am curious if anyone has done it and what their experience was like. Would you recommend it? Do you have any tips? Looking back would you do it again?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Importing into Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Importing from where and year of vehicle are important info.
I have imported a bunch of 1970's Haflingers (and a Pinz on the way) from US but that is much different than a new vehicle and very different if your talking about Europe or ?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
tom338

Post by tom338 »

I am looking at a 1975 C303 from Denmark. http://www.bachint.dk/shop/vehicles-19c1.html I have been looking at the transport Canada website and the RIV and it looks like there are a quite a few restrictions. I contacted Volvo Canada to see if they were aware of anyone importing a C303 or if they were familiar with a letter stating the vehicle is up to date with recalls. They say it looks like it will not be possible based on info on the transport Canada website and they only give letters for Volvo's imported from the U.S.
carbon60

Post by carbon60 »

Vehicles older than 25 years should import with a little trouble, or at least that's what I thought.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Can you post the link of info your talking about.
I see no reason why a vehicle 15 years or older (US is 25 years or older) would have any issues.
Also, once you move to 30 years or older it is an antique and even less issues/restrictions (when I researched the restrictions on a 1972 and 1975 Hafi and Pinz were zippo, zero - just bring it over and pay the tax (no duty)!
I know many Unimog owners that have imported from Europe to Canada with little issue and they are road licensed Mogs vs farm trucks.
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Sun May 22, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom338

Post by tom338 »

I think I was reading it wrong. Since you pointed it out, it looks like more rules apply if the vehicle is less than 15 years old and there should be less issue with an older truck.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehiclesaf ... q-1283.htm
It is great to read that you have done it and that you are in Ontario.
tom338

Post by tom338 »

I just confirmed with transport Canada. Transport Canada will allow the truck since it is more than 15 years old. No restrictions from them. I just have to be able to prove the trucks age.
“Non required to enter the RIV program – vehicle older than 15 years of age or bus manufactured prior to Jan-1-1971”
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

tom338 wrote:I just confirmed with transport Canada. Transport Canada will allow the truck since it is more than 15 years old. No restrictions from them. I just have to be able to prove the trucks age.
“Non required to enter the RIV program – vehicle older than 15 years of age or bus manufactured prior to Jan-1-1971”
Just make sure your Form1 is filled out correctly so you can then register it in Ontario. With one of my Hafi's the customs guy put the wrong number in for the VIN # ( since it is not a standard length), and I failed to double check it. Headed to register it and was denied and had to go back to customs and go through a lot of red tape!
Otherwise it is pretty simple stuff and in Ontario you can register just about any kind of vehicle easily (as long as you pay all the government taxes and fees)