Hagerty insurance

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Hagerty insurance

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I just got an email from Hagerty and they actually listed "Pinzgauer" as one of their covered vehicles in the email. Their main military vehicle insurance page has a picture of a 1971 Volvo Sugga, of all things (it's not a '71!).

I guess if you go off-road and hurt something, just repair that yourself. I've never had more than liability on a 4x4 anyway.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Class ... 0Specialty
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

edzz
United States of America

Re: Hagerty insurance

Post by edzz »

Hadn't realized they were going up to 1985 thought everyone was stuck on 1975 or older. Good to know.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Actually, they insure rare and special interest vehicles that are less than 25 years old. My coverage with Hagarty goes back to my '85 716 in '03, '85 1300 in'06, and currently the '96 MTV (the FDT) in 2013 and 2001 718K in 2014. But they are a secondary vehicle insurance company, Newer vehicles will carry a premium that may or may not make it worthwhile. In my case it was a D90 SW, Auto Club was cheaper.

If anyone plans to thrash their vehicles, on or off road, stay with your primary insurance company. They have the right to refuse a claim.Vehicles must also be garage.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

Big warning on Hagerty. I spoke with them at length about what they cover. In very plain English, I was told that daily driving my Pinzgauer or even regular driving would cause a claim to revoked. They said they only cover for the occasional cruise, car show, and 'Sunday Drive'. I even asked about the occasional drive to work and they said it's a gray are cause it may appear I drive it regularly.

I went with Progressive, no strings attached. I'm permitted to drive the wheels off the thing, fully covered.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

kdiqq,
As said, Hagerty is a secondary insurance company for classic (25 years or older),collectible, rare and special interest vehicles only. Just saying the word "regular" earns an automatic "NO". And asking any question that sounds like they are going to be "at risk" will also get a negative answer.
"Regular" use vehicles belong to primary insurance companies.

There are Pinz owners that belong on both sides of the fence and need to go through the guideline and see if they qualify. IF you heavily modify and add kit to make a camper or a rock crawling rig, you can expect claims to be denied if you were able to get insurance through them. Also if you put high mileage on a vehicle is another no-no.

Before going any further, a Collector's insurance policy is to protect you while on the road, NOT to use as a safety net to go off road and thrash your vehicle. IF you go off road and damage your vehicle, have the dignity and responsibility to think of yourself as self insured and foot your own repairs and not "try" to make their claims department believe that it happen at a event... they see the blowing smoke.

I don't want to see this become another "insuring a Pinz" thread, there are dozens of them. Vince commented on a Hagerty email that they had Pinzgauer named. They are happy to insure a Pinz if you are a collector or enthusiast.

kdiqq
United States of America

Post by kdiqq »

David Dunn wrote:kdiqq,
As said, Hagerty is a secondary insurance company for classic (25 years or older),collectible, rare and special interest vehicles only. Just saying the word "regular" earns an automatic "NO". And asking any question that sounds like they are going to be "at risk" will also get a negative answer.
"Regular" use vehicles belong to primary insurance companies.

There are Pinz owners that belong on both sides of the fence and need to go through the guideline and see if they qualify. IF you heavily modify and add kit to make a camper or a rock crawling rig, you can expect claims to be denied if you were able to get insurance through them. Also if you put high mileage on a vehicle is another no-no.

Before going any further, a Collector's insurance policy is to protect you while on the road, NOT to use as a safety net to go off road and thrash your vehicle. IF you go off road and damage your vehicle, have the dignity and responsibility to think of yourself as self insured and foot your own repairs and not "try" to make their claims department believe that it happen at a event... they see the blowing smoke.

I don't want to see this become another "insuring a Pinz" thread, there are dozens of them. Vince commented on a Hagerty email that they had Pinzgauer named. They are happy to insure a Pinz if you are a collector or enthusiast.
Didn't mean to make it sound like I disagreed with you, moreso corroborating... I just figured the word 'insured' should be discussed. Wasn't knocking anyone's opinion here.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
1977 Austrian 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I need to apologize to you. Your first line of your comment seems to be the first comment everyone whom speaks to Hagerty post. After hearing the same dialog several times, people shy away and and repeat it, same as hearing a joke after traveling through 10 people, and being different at the last person.

The later comments were for the forum "in mass".

Believe it or not, many of Hagerty agents enjoy seeing different MVs. It is a breath of fresh air after seeing nothing buts muscle cars, Corvettes, Ferraris and Porsches all day. :D

One thing for sure, whether talking to your primary or a collector's insurance company, choose your questions, answers (to questions) and "words" carefully. "offroading" might mean fire trails to you, but to the insurance agent or underwriter ( the final judge to you getting a policy) it can envision tearing up the mountains or desert or extreme rock crawling.

Whatever you choose, do it honestly... it could come back to haunt you, or even worse, the rest of the community with the lost of an insurance carrier.

pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I have used Hagerty for my Pinzgauer since 2003. No problems. I had a claim with my 442 on the same policy once, and they took care of it without argument or any debate. If you have a claim, they pay. Period.
Smiley

Post by Smiley »

About 4 years ago I received a quote from Hagerty online and answered honestly when asked if I would take it off road, which was a yes. The quote finished and I received all the documents and a price on what it would cost. I signed up that evening and the next day the policy was cancelled on the grounds that they don't insure cars that go off road. Because of that answer they automatically canceled my quote and would not insure me. They told me to come back in a few years if I didn't drive it off road. Took my business elsewhere after that. Hagerty actually insured this same vehicle from the guy I purchased it from and he had a website devoted to off road activity (boggle). Not sure what they are doing now, but don't care at this point.
Wyothing
United States of America

Post by Wyothing »

I just bought a Pinz. Previous owner had it insured with Hagerty. They refused me because I was honest and said I would use it off road. USAA said they won"t cover it. Tried locally and got nowhere with that either. Tried progressive and they said only liability coverage is available but they couldn't help and am now transferring me to progressive advantage classic car insurance which is actually a branch of Hagerty. I don't think I am going to find insurance at all.

Owned it 2 weeks and still no insurance.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

I just signed up with Hagarty on our new to us 71 Pinzgauer 710M. When they saw my pictures they asked if it was garaged, and I said no, under a patio cover. That raised the rate a little but didn't kill the deal. They asked if I off-road with it and I told them yes, scenic driving on dirt roads. They said they don't consider that off-road. There is no limitation on how often I drive it or where.

It was important to them that I had 3 other daily driver vehicles and only 2 people in our household. That let them know it is not a daily driver.

The rate was very reasonable.

The only restriction I have on ours is my State of Nevada Classic License Plate which limits me to 5,000 miles per year.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
Wyothing
United States of America

Post by Wyothing »

They just rejected me. I don't get it. Can't find anyone to insure it. Any ideas would be great.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Where are you located?
What are you insuring?
If you can update your profile others near you can try to help with what they did!
Cheers,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Wyothing wrote:They just rejected me. I don't get it. Can't find anyone to insure it. Any ideas would be great.
Who is "they", and what type of insurance are you seeking: liability only or comp? Also as Techmogogy asked, where are you? (I'm gonna assume Wyoming?)
Could they give you any reason/s why they couldn't insure the truck?
I'm not sure what sort of 'off-road' use you anticipate, nor what your agent imagines it to mean. But you might want to clarify that you expect to drive on dirt and/or gravel roads, but not rock-climb with the truck. I think it's understandable that an insurer would be leery of covering off-road damage, no matter what sort of policy you have. They might just be concerned about the cost of repair, in the case of a comp. policy.
Wyothing
United States of America

Post by Wyothing »

Hagerty said they did not want to insure me because I said I would use it off road and the second reason they didn't want to insure it was that I planned on driving it too much. I spoke to a man that was very helpful and he explained why I was rejected. I don't mean to bash Hagerty as they insure a lot of pinzies and I did not want to cause an issue for others. I just didn't want to worry each time I drive it that I may be "out of bounds" for my insurance coverage.
I went back to USAA and they connected me to a division of Progressive and they finally covered me with full coverage and no limits whatsoever. They matched my coverage on my other vehicles. The price was very good and I am happy. But Progressive had rejected me the first time also.

I think it depends who you talk with. If you have coverage with Hagerty, good for you. I think you need to be honest to make sure you have good insurance. And I agree, off road means different things to different people.

SO thanks to all of those who messaged me and helped with advice.

I live in northern Wyoming and drive a 710M. I had the more fun yesterday than in a long time once I got the coverage and hit the road!