Buying my first Pinz, what to look for?

All things not relating to the other forums.
itsalljake
Norway

Buying my first Pinz, what to look for?

Post by itsalljake »

So glad I found this group. Please let me know if there is already a thread that would have the information I need, or if this is in the wrong place. Looking at buying my first and I live in California. Not too many of them out here so now I am looking Nationally. I will find an inspector closest to where ever I find the Pinz. Of course, not all inspectors are going to know what to look for on these vehicles. Can you guys help me out with a basic list of what big items to keep an eye out for? Thanks for any and all help.
1972 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Buying my first Pinz, what to look for?

Post by TechMOGogy »

Welcome to the board!
Please fill in your location in your profile even though you told us you were in Cali, 10 posts from now no one will remember!
This link should help you out: http://madscientisthut.com/sdp-pin/html ... klist.html
But if it was me I would go here and buy this truck: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10344
Good luck!
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Thanks TechMO. I did happen to find that madscientist link. Helped a lot. I also had looked at Andre's rig earlier. It is a pretty good deal. But when you factor in the extra $2300 for CA certification it gets a little pricey. Looking at a bone-stock version that I may get a screaming deal on. I'll find out tomorrow. If not, maybe I'll have a talk with Andre.
1972 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Andre's Pinz had previously been registered in Cal, and he moved to Texas.
Ask Andre to PM his VIN and take it to the DMV, and ask them about it re-entering Cal. You can never be sure how they'll treat it. :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Screaming deals tend to turn into cash pits
Andre's truck while not cheap has been maintained to pretty much the highest level, has new tires, he will include build time etc.
not trying to be a salesman but if I was to buy again I would jump on a truck like that.
Good luck with your search and keep us posted.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

I have most certainly been down that road before TechMo. I've got a guy going over to give the Pinz a 160 pt inspection. In case he wasn't too familiar I gave him all the important points to check as well as the whole MadScientist link for further inspection. Should hear the full report by tomorrow afternoon. If it comes back scary then I'll move on.
1972 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

deleted :evil:
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

audiocontr wrote:deleted :evil:
Does that mean I should look for evil?
1972 710M
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

He has deleted the Evil, kinda like sending good vibes your way that you find a good one :)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I'm exorcising the demons you will find by buying a cheap pinzgauer.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

I very recently got the bug from a 710M parked right in front of my office window a few weeks ago. The tenant got a good deal on a barn pick. I'd be willing to bet I now know more about these machines then he does. Tried to rent it for a weekend to test it out but cost prohibitive. Then I started my national search. Yes, there are plenty out there. Yes, there are many pitfalls. I also got lucky finding Jim at GW and if it passes a basic inspection, I'm good with the price compared to the current national average as well as the location of the vehicle. I already appreciate the 200 threads you guys have laid down for me. If it's not this one it'll be another. Avatar photo pending.
1972 710M
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

And please feel free to keep exorcising the demons. :shock:
1972 710M
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Well, I'm not sure. Finally saw the report on the 710m. Idle is surging so there's likely some carb balancing needed. Smoke at startup so the top end probably needs to be resealed. Video shows general lack of care like the machine has sat outside for a few years, cobwebs on the springs, And rusted spring cups. Evidence of oil leaks at the engine and trans. Bone stock with no changes. So, the question is at $8400 + $1000 for transport +$2300 for CA certification + who knows what kind of General maintenance that hasn't been performed in the last 5 years, this sounds like a no-go.
1972 710M
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

With the $1000 transport and $2300 add on for california certs seems like going with one already in CA would be the way to go.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

itsalljake wrote:Well, I'm not sure. Finally saw the report on the 710m. Idle is surging so there's likely some carb balancing needed. Smoke at startup so the top end probably needs to be resealed. Video shows general lack of care like the machine has sat outside for a few years, cobwebs on the springs, And rusted spring cups. Evidence of oil leaks at the engine and trans. Bone stock with no changes. So, the question is at $8400 + $1000 for transport +$2300 for CA certification + who knows what kind of General maintenance that hasn't been performed in the last 5 years, this sounds like a no-go.
FYI, smoke is normal and unless excessive, not to worry about. Spring caps rusted or rusted through? Leaks are to be expected as well, again, as long as it's not excessive, that's what you'll find for the average pinz. Idle surge could be normal warm up, bad gas, or need for a rebuild.

The shipping and fees are the issue, not the $8000 price.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder