Buying my first Pinz, what to look for?

All things not relating to the other forums.
Texas710
United States of America

Re: Buying my first Pinz, what to look for?

Post by Texas710 »

Not that I am pushing you either way, but Andre's rig is a fair deal. Some might say cheap for the upgrades he's done. Plus, if so inclined, you could drive it back to CA to save on transport. It's been done before.

You don't want a pinz that has been sitting out in the elements for a long time. The trucks are not 100% water tight and more than 1 person has experienced rusting of the panels. Carb balancing is not that big of a deal, but rebuilding is a different story, not sure if you have experience with carbs but that is a fun learning curve. Might want to look at Expedition Imports, a lot of guys have good things to say about that business and they seem to have a bunch of trucks.

You might want to price out some parts when factoring in your decision, they can get pricey.

Just like everything in life, you get what you pay for. Buyer beware.
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Copy that
1972 710M
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Agreed. I could try and register it as agricultural since mostly going to live on the ranch. I just want to legally take it down the road every now and then. I'd prefer to have it all above boards so I can drive it home too. The ranch is about 200 miles away.
1972 710M
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

I think I found a decent 710M in CA. He's the owner did not really take care of it. Softop needs replacing. Body seems fair. Hard starting when cold but it's all original ignition so that might be solved with the upgrade. Looks like he also found out about the non-safety tempered glass windshield, because that's gone. He's had it for 10 years and done minimal routine maintenance and very little road use. He "lowered" the listing price to $12K for the missing top. I'm feeling it more at $10K, for the top, windshield, ignition upgrade, trans service, missing plates (but CA registration so I'm dodging that bullet!) No real extras on this one so I'm not thrilled about it at 10K but that makes more sense than getting a great machine from out of state and wondering how the registration process goes. I figure at 10K I've got about 4K of headroom for upgrades and service and I'm still in a reasonable ballpark for the value of the vehicle. Thoughts?
1972 710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I'd think that the registration process and expense/s could be pretty accurately pinned down. (Others have already gone through it, so I'd think you could research this.) Then you'd have a given dollar amount to add to a known-good truck.

On the other hand, you could EASILY drop thousands into refurbishing an unknown truck, especially one that "the owner did not really take care of". What's a differential (or two) going for, or even a muffler for that matter? You already know it's going to need a top. Parts for these trucks are on the spendy side, IMHO, and labor can eat you alive if you're paying someone else to do the work. It wouldn't take too many "issues" to rapidly top a few thousand dollars. Unless you can accurately pin down the cost of any needed repairs and missing parts, you may be in for a surprise.

Going into either scenario with just a guess at the costs could be a mistake.
itsalljake
Norway

Post by itsalljake »

Absolutely correct. The CA Certification costs $2300. Delivery from anywhere a cross the country would be $600-1400 so let's say $1000. That adds $3300 to any vehicle I buy out of state. That's not a guess, that's $3300.
1972 710M