first drive of a Haffy

Mechanical issues? Check here.

Moderator: TechMOGogy

audiocontr
United States of America

first drive of a Haffy

Post by audiocontr »

WEIRD!

After 3 pinzgauers, the foot placement of the haffy is strange! Its going to take a bit of work to get used to it. So far fun!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: first drive of a Haffy

Post by TechMOGogy »

Did you have your whole foot on it?
I just use the tip of my foot on the end curved part, never noticed it being different :D
Main thing is your driving it!
Congrats
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

The clutch feels unnatural in placement and the brake is so much higher than the gas. I'll get used to it of course.

Is it possible to raise the the gas pedal with adjustment?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Not without doing major work on either the shape of the gas pedal or the mounting point.

Yes, gas pedal operated by the Toe with the heel on the floor works well, the brake pedal is very high up and you just have to get used to lifting your whole leg up in order to stamp on the brake, but to be honest you don't use the brake all that often as just taking your foot off the gas provides huge amount of braking - not engine braking! Transmission braking!

Clutch is very nearly ON/OFF - why do you think my Haflinger is called LURCH? Clutch control involves lifting your whole leg and not just pivoting your heel.

Nice to hear you are in the final stages of getting your Haflinger drive able - (Roadworthy?)

Whole experience is a learning curve - Just keep at it and you will either start enjoying it or hate it, in which case let some one else drive it!

John
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

:D

totally agree. It very much reminds me of japanese mini trucks on steroids, and yes, mine lurches something fierce! Its amazing to think this litte engine has that much torque. Is it normal to drive in 2nd, 3rd and 4th on roads? No need to use K or 1?

Next upgrades: I'm starting to like the idea of taller tires for a little top end speed, and I'd love a new set of seat pads.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

audiocontr wrote:Is it normal to drive in 2nd, 3rd and 4th on roads? No need to use K or 1?

Next upgrades: I'm starting to like the idea of taller tires for a little top end speed, and I'd love a new set of seat pads.
I normally driving I use 2, 3, 4, 5 only - when moving mainly 5 and 4. 1st is a pain to get into and is too low to be practical on the road.

I have 14" rims and tyres and gives about 5kph extra speed for revs in 5th but as overall gearing is a little higher a little zoom zoom is lost but is only noticed on long hills.

Garry
Last edited by Garrycol on Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

audiocontr wrote::D

totally agree. It very much reminds me of japanese mini trucks on steroids, and yes, mine lurches something fierce! Its amazing to think this litte engine has that much torque. Is it normal to drive in 2nd, 3rd and 4th on roads? No need to use K or 1?

There is a guy on Facebook in Europe, Christopher List, that can make them for u (seat pads about 650 euro for front and rear)
Or u can use my drawings if you want a more hands on project
https://app.box.com/s/tify4z81rtoovv4jf3bd
And
https://app.box.com/s/y9upqybg4ts9w3bs9pu7
I cut the foam, bought the vinyl and found a local guy to make them for me.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Another option is to buy the memory foam pads they use for wheel chairs, they fit and have tie on laces which means you can just put them on top of your existing seat pads and tie them to the uprights and they give more comfort. Only down side is they increase the height of the seat base and if you are tall you already have an issue with the windscreen height.

Several people have extended the windscreen frame vertically and put in new toughened glass to get round that issue.

The manual even tells you to use 2nd to pull away in on the road. 1st / Krawler has a top speed of 4 mph so you would be changing gear as soon as you had let the clutch up when on the road - off road is a different matter!

14 inch wheels will give you higher top speed at the expense of acceleration, torque needed to put the higher gearing is somewhat lacking so you will find on long hills that you have to change down and 4th is a lot lower. Don't take Gary's comments as completely indicative of most Haflinger's as he has a big bore kit and therefore more torque than a standard engine.

I have driven Lurch to Holland and back several times and other places which for most are very long distances - as long as you are prepared to accept that your average speed is going to be in the 20 / 30 mph zone depending on your gearing setup (4/5 speed, hi-speed hubs etc. It can be done without too much drama once you have sorted the niggles which most vehicles of this age have if they haven't been used lots....

John
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Im jealous of your 5th gear!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder