710M OEM type seat fabric

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
bbolander
United States of America

710M OEM type seat fabric

Post by bbolander »

My driver's seat needs repair, and I absolutely love the military fabric on the seat. Not sure if it's OEM but likely is. It's a very heavy canvas/vinyl feeling fabric. I saw old posts about fabric, nothing to help the current situation. I doubt very much that my upholstery shop will have access to this type of fabric or a sample of it.

Does anyone know where to get fabric like the OEM seat fabric?

Here's a picture of mine. On seam still has enough material to re-stitch, but the other doesn't. The fabric is so stiff not sure an upholstery shop would work on it.

I really want to keep the fabric OEM like this.
IMG_1186 copy.jpg
IMG_1186 copy.jpg (796.67 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Re: 710M OEM type seat fabric

Post by GenevaPinz »

I believe finding similar fabric in rolls might be complicated. You could cannibalize swiss army bags. The "old" rucksacks tend to go up in price, but these (model 90) start to become available:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... b?a=864991
They originally did not have any straps and were designed to clip on each soldier's webbing, but it seems Sportsmansguide have added straps to solve this. The issue will be to get large enough surfaces of fabric for your seat repair. I don't know how many such m90 bags would be needed for the job...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

GenevaPinz wrote:I believe finding similar fabric in rolls might be complicated. You could cannibalize swiss army bags. The "old" rucksacks tend to go up in price, but these (model 90) start to become available:
They originally did not have any straps and were designed to clip on each soldier's webbing, but it seems Sportsmansguide have added straps to solve this. The issue will be to get large enough surfaces of fabric for your seat repair. I don't know how many such m90 bags would be needed for the job...
Thanks, that would be a great bag to carry things in the Pinz anyway! I'll order a couple and see what they're like.

I like the graphics on your Pinz! I'm retired, but was an engineer for an worldwide oil and energy engineering contractor myself.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

The old M90 rucksacks are plenty big but a lighter weight material. I also ordered some water proof bags, and they are definitely lighter, not suitable for the seats.

But, I ordered some Messenger Bags and they are heavier and closer to the seat fabric. Not a perfect match but I can consider having the seat bottom repaired with them. They will probably require a center seam to be added, I don't think the fabric is quite wide enough for the center panel. I thought I ordered two, but it was two 5-packs, so I have 10 of them to choose from if I decide to go that way. Thanks for the info.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

bbolander wrote:I like the graphics on your Pinz!
Thanks! They're 24-inch decals from military-graphics.com (http://www.military-graphics.com/badges3.html). The world needs more shark-toothed Pinzes!

Happy you could find some suitable fabric to fix your seats.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Great website. I don't wanna be a copycat, so might have to go with the warthog!
1972 710m
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

This thread is headed way off topic :)
These are great!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I would never go with OEM material for Pinzgauer seats, especially in the Southwest. Too damn hot! Get a fabric that breathes instead. I found material online and took the seats to an upholstery shop and had all new seats made, including cushions. Much more comfortable!

Here is a link to a site that has some quality fabric- http://96.9.40.109/category/camouflage.html
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I changed the fabric AND the frame at the same time.

Installing a seat from a Smart Minicar solved all issues

Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

GenevaPinz wrote:I believe finding similar fabric in rolls might be complicated. You could cannibalize swiss army bags. The "old" rucksacks tend to go up in price, but these (model 90) start to become available:
I got the seat upholstery issue resolved by getting a better used seat. I'm taking the Pinz to the local car show this weekend and thought I'd put the M90 rucksack and messenger bag on display with the Pinz.

Were the messenger bags issued to all soldiers to carry their paperwork in? Or only to specific messengers. What would they typically carry in the messenger bags?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... s?a=683724
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

bbolander wrote:Were the messenger bags issued to all soldiers to carry their paperwork in? Or only to specific messengers. What would they typically carry in the messenger bags?

They were issued to all soldiers, but not for documents. Actually I have never seen anyone use one for documents...

Each soldier was issued with a rucksack (originally the one in pictures 2 and 3 from the top on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpack, which were replaced by a synthetic/waterproof cloth version of the same design in the 80s, and eventually by the rucksacks that you bought from Sportsman's Guide in the 90s) and this messenger bag to carry all of their stuff.

Swiss soldiers keep part of their equipment (including their assault rifle and a sealed tin can of ammo) at home between the times they need to go back in service to shorten the time needed to mobilize. So on the first and last day of service, you can see them with all of their gear in train stations. For leaves during the time of service (typically weekends), they would only use the messenger bag to carry whatever they want to take home and back. Usually it includes laundry as the Swiss army doesn't have the best laundry service in the world... (slow, items lost or mixed up and brutal on the items). As in my time the army would not provide underwear, or not in sufficient quantity if you want to change regularly, most guys would top up their supply of t-shirts and provide their own socks and underpants. So if you wanted to be sure to have your own clean briefs the next week, you would take care of your own laundry during the weekend. This would include camo fatigues as well for guys like me who thought the exchange of dirty against clean fatigues wasn't happening often enough (especially in summer)...

These days they don't issue rucksacks for tacking your stuff to/from home anymore, they issue a big wheeled travel bag for the first/last days of service (there is one pictured here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262732799042?rmvSB=true) and a small duffel with a shoulder strap for when there is less to carry.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

GenevaPinz wrote:
bbolander wrote:Were the messenger bags issued to all soldiers to carry their paperwork in? Or only to specific messengers. What would they typically carry in the messenger bags?

They were issued to all soldiers, but not for documents. Actually I have never seen anyone use one for documents...

Each soldier was issued with a rucksack (originally the one in pictures 2 and 3 from the top on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpack, which were replaced by a synthetic/waterproof cloth version of the same design in the 80s, and eventually by the rucksacks that you bought from Sportsman's Guide in the 90s) and this messenger bag to carry all of their stuff.

Swiss soldiers keep part of their equipment (including their assault rifle and a sealed tin can of ammo) at home between the times they need to go back in service to shorten the time needed to mobilize. So on the first and last day of service, you can see them with all of their gear in train stations. For leaves during the time of service (typically weekends), they would only use the messenger bag to carry whatever they want to take home and back. Usually it includes laundry as the Swiss army doesn't have the best laundry service in the world... (slow, items lost or mixed up and brutal on the items). As in my time the army would not provide underwear, or not in sufficient quantity if you want to change regularly, most guys would top up their supply of t-shirts and provide their own socks and underpants. So if you wanted to be sure to have your own clean briefs the next week, you would take care of your own laundry during the weekend. This would include camo fatigues as well for guys like me who thought the exchange of dirty against clean fatigues wasn't happening often enough (especially in summer)...

These days they don't issue rucksacks for tacking your stuff to/from home anymore, they issue a big wheeled travel bag for the first/last days of service (there is one pictured here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262732799042?rmvSB=true) and a small duffel with a shoulder strap for when there is less to carry.
Great info. I'm at a local car show this weekend and displaying the rucksack and messenger bags in the back. I'd assumed the messenger bag was for documents because of the picture on the sportsmansguide website. Now i know what to tell spectators as they come by. I need to take the doccuments out of the one bag!
IMG_1393 copy.jpg
IMG_1393 copy.jpg (439.57 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Sorry it's off topic, but do those document bags open flat? Looking for a better tool bag, but I'd like to be able to lay it it out and see most of the tools
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

McCall Pinz wrote:Sorry it's off topic, but do those document bags open flat? Looking for a better tool bag, but I'd like to be able to lay it it out and see most of the tools
That's where the topic has already gone. The bag that is open is flat, but the zipper only zips down half way as shown. I've tried it with a lug wrench tool and breaker bar. So no, you can't see openly what is in the bottom half and you have to work a little to keep things in place to fold it over when closing. Jury's still out for me, they're heavy duty and will be good for something. And I have 10 of them!!!
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Pm sent.
eat, sleep, Pinzgauer