10 mm Bolts to Remove Brake Drum

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
19D20

10 mm Bolts to Remove Brake Drum

Post by 19D20 »

I seem to be missing mine.
How long are they and do you just screw them in to remove the drum ?
pcolette
United States of America

Re: 10 mm Bolts to Remove Brake Drum

Post by pcolette »

Mine are about 35-40mm long and yes, you just slowly and alternately tighten them until the drum comes loose. Then just pull the drum off the studs.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

IIRC, someone here once observed that his truck was equipped with bolts for just this purpose, screwed into holes in the body section just behind the doghouse. ?? I never checked. I always thought that was what the toolbox was for.

Generally, I have found that the bolts will not force the drum off by themselves, but rather they provide help as you beat the drum off with a soft hammer.
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

Thanks for the reply s.
I buried the truck in the mud as two tires went flat, and couldn't get it pulled out for a week. Two drums are rusted to the brakes. I managed to beat one off and, after letting it soak in kroll for a week the second one still won't come off.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I don't use bolts to "pry" the drum from the hub (but then I have never had them freeze together, either). I just whack the drum with a 5 lb deadblow mallet, back and forth across the diameter (kind of like cross tightening the lugs) until the drum frees up. This has always worked for me.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

Six hrs beating om it, The bolts pushed the drum about 3 inches ( ardently beating on it) then the threads stripped out of the drum. When it came a 2"x1" piece of the drum broke off on the outer edge where the pads make contact.
There was a half gallon of hardened silt inside . Sheesh
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

19D20 wrote:Six hrs beating om it, The bolts pushed the drum about 3 inches ( ardently beating on it) then the threads stripped out of the drum. When it came a 2"x1" piece of the drum broke off on the outer edge where the pads make contact.
When I've been faced with a similar problem, rather than forcing the drum off (which can tear up the components in there), I've just split the drum and removed it that way. It pays to maintain (clean) them, as you've discovered!
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

undysworld wrote:
19D20 wrote:Six hrs beating om it, The bolts pushed the drum about 3 inches ( ardently beating on it) then the threads stripped out of the drum. When it came a 2"x1" piece of the drum broke off on the outer edge where the pads make contact.
When I've been faced with a similar problem, rather than forcing the drum off (which can tear up the components in there), I've just split the drum and removed it that way. It pays to maintain (clean) them, as you've discovered!
Time was my major constraint. The truck was stuck in the mud on a job 100 miles away from my house and I couldn't get to working on it for a month. I have decades of getting equipment unstuck, everything from tanks to hydraulic tree-spade trucks, tractors and bulldozers. 2- 4wd trucks couldn't get it out of the mud.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Pics or it didn't happen :)
OK - I am sure it did but we all wanna see pics of that!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

Sorry, getting stuck isn't a novelty and so I didn't take pictures of the truck, only the broken drum.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

This won't be of much help now, but you might have had a better understanding of the problem if you had removed the plug from the drum to see how much mud was in there and possibly hosed it out or at least softened it with a liberal amount of water... maybe this will help you or someone else next time.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
19D20

Post by 19D20 »

For sure. Thank you !
Brickren
United States of America

Post by Brickren »

Also remember, for future reference. Without pictures, It never happened. It sounded like an epic attempt at forward progress with an over abundance of perceived ability to cross the road. I've had Penny stuck just 2 times in 3 years. I have felt great shame in asking for help. But to get it stuck where 2 other 4x4 couldn't get me, well now. I would have probably called a film crew to record this recovery and maybe had a clip for youtube with links and hashtags, ( whatever those are), as well as a post all to itself on this site with all kinds of emoji thingys. Not some obscure post about where a couple of bolts may or may not be stored for use during routine maintenance. I almost past this post up. My friends get tired of me bragging about Pennys' abilities. They would have talked about this kind of thing for weeks if not longer. There would be all kinds of posts on Face book and/or insta gram, flyers in the church builtin, supermarket, parts store or wherever. The people that helped you, You may want to discreetly check THEIR Face book pages. They may be mocking you (Meaning your Pinz) and you don't even know. I don't believe we should tolerate that. If they have pictures, well then you need to steal them to post here. I'm sure if we all got together , we could send you pictures, videos, testimonials, factory demos, news articles,(incidentally, I have a picture from a Russian news site that shows a mortar/rocket crew launching while behind them is a Pinzgauer.) to show the capability of our beloved trucks.

This post is all in jest.....But it sure would have been great to see a couple of pics. Hope it all goes back together for you with the minimal amount of money and time. Don't be shy. Tell us about you adventures more often with lots of detail....And pictures...And videos....With youtube links..Brian
1975 710M
2000 Ural Tourist
IndyPinzy
United States of America

Post by IndyPinzy »

Hi all,

Hopefully I'm not repeating something that I missed above, but if you pick these up at a hardware store, you'll also need to know the thread pitch - it's 1.50. Or in other words, M10-1.50 x L. L being whatever length you choose. Mine are M10-1.5 x 50.

Fine pitch metric bolts are also commonly available but are incorrect for this application.

Ninev
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

To all non-metric Pinz users:

You have two crossbars on your rear doors, holding the spare wheel.
These bars are mounted to the door with the screws you need. Just remove the bottom bar, and you are sorted.
No more search for the correct size or thread ...

Cheers !
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army