Got the Ham and CB radios mounted, DC outlet for GPS next

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Got the Ham and CB radios mounted, DC outlet for GPS nex

Post by 4x4Pinz »

TechMOGogy wrote:My head would hit too but clearly yours does not!
audiocontr wrote:my head would make contact with those electronics. =)
I am just over 6ft and with aftermarket seats installed and a Tuffy overhead console installed I don't hit it with my head unless the radio is open and I try to look in the back of the truck. Offroad never hit the Tuffy and it is waaay lower then his install.

The install should work well for you.
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

4x4Pinz wrote:I found and used those cup holders on Ebay some years ago. Don't know if the seller still has them. We had trouble after some time with them breaking so quit using them. The heat here would make the very brittle and even the smallest bump in the road would cause them to break dropping the contents all over everything. When they were new they worked great and stow out of the way when not in use.
I can see that, mine are very brittle! I've scratched myself on them a few times doing the 12V install. The previous Owner drilled self tapping screws to mount them, I imagine I could find some to replace them and use the same screws. I'm needing a good way to tie up my wiring loom across that area, might want to use a cable strap behind the cupholders to do that. Might be a good time to look into new cupholders while I'm at it.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Jimm391730 wrote:When using a 24-12V converter (where the 12V output stops when the 24V is shut off with the battery key) the 12V and 24V can share the same ground (chassis ground). I've done this with all my converters.

On the other hand, if you are using the 12V mid-point tap between the two batteries then it is generally best to NOT use chassis ground (create a separate ground point that is not the same as the chassis for the 12V devices; this can be difficult as many 12V devices expect that the mounting point is the same as ground). With chassis as the 12V grounds, too, opening the battery key can put 12V reverse polarity to the devices if any 24V loads are attempted to be energized (lights, starter, etc.). Of course it is highly recommended to NEVER use the battery mid-point as a source for 12V power; the above is just one problem with doing so.
I'm not taking anything from the battery, I read that on the forum. So it's good to hear again that I can ground both the 24V and 12V to the same bulkhead. All this 12V conversion is dead when the battery switch is off.

By the way, a couple of friends suggested I use one battery for the 12V like they do in their work equipment. Stuck to my guns and got a converter based on what I've heard hear. Thanks!
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

My Garmin double ball came in so the GPS mount is complete. The RAM mount is super strong and won't move. The only thing that might move is the GPS on the Garmin ball itself. RAM has specific GPS mounts to prevent that problem, but I'm not sure which GPS I'll end up using yet. The Garmin 1490T you see has Garmin topo maps on it that I purchased. Works great, but the GPS itself has been a little flaky lately. I use a newer 3790T in my Rubicon with the Garmin topo maps as well.
IMG_1248 copy.jpg
IMG_1248 copy.jpg (452.39 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
IMG_1250 copy.jpg
IMG_1250 copy.jpg (397.99 KiB) Viewed 7683 times
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

bbolander wrote:
4x4Pinz wrote:I found and used those cup holders on Ebay some years ago. Don't know if the seller still has them. We had trouble after some time with them breaking so quit using them. The heat here would make the very brittle and even the smallest bump in the road would cause them to break dropping the contents all over everything. When they were new they worked great and stow out of the way when not in use.
I can see that, mine are very brittle! I've scratched myself on them a few times doing the 12V install. The previous Owner drilled self tapping screws to mount them, I imagine I could find some to replace them and use the same screws. I'm needing a good way to tie up my wiring loom across that area, might want to use a cable strap behind the cupholders to do that. Might be a good time to look into new cupholders while I'm at it.
The plastic cup holders are available lots of places online. But I found these stainless steel ones for boats and ordered a couple. Same principle, look a lot better:

http://www.strykerttops.com/adjsutable- ... -0931s.htm
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

bbolander wrote: I can see that, mine are very brittle! I've scratched myself on them a few times doing the 12V install. The previous Owner drilled self tapping screws to mount them, I imagine I could find some to replace them and use the same screws. I'm needing a good way to tie up my wiring loom across that area, might want to use a cable strap behind the cupholders to do that. Might be a good time to look into new cupholders while I'm at it.
I have a soft spot for these. They have been really successful. lots of layers of paint or a very good finish is the key to them lasting a long time. I have had the original one in my 712 since '05. There have been some mods to the original design. A couple slots can be added for cell phones to set just between the cups. I have seen one member put usb and 12v power ports in his with molex connector to remove when servicing the engine. these go in place of the original engine inspection cover so no modifications to the truck are needed.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5516&hilit=console
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

you can just see one of the consoles here behind my son in law.
Attachments
inside 710 selfie jsutin danae.jpg
inside 710 selfie jsutin danae.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 7686 times
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

4x4Pinz wrote:
bbolander wrote: I can see that, mine are very brittle! I've scratched myself on them a few times doing the 12V install. The previous Owner drilled self tapping screws to mount them, I imagine I could find some to replace them and use the same screws. I'm needing a good way to tie up my wiring loom across that area, might want to use a cable strap behind the cupholders to do that. Might be a good time to look into new cupholders while I'm at it.
I have a soft spot for these. They have been really successful. lots of layers of paint or a very good finish is the key to them lasting a long time. I have had the original one in my 712 since '05. There have been some mods to the original design. A couple slots can be added for cell phones to set just between the cups. I have seen one member put usb and 12v power ports in his with molex connector to remove when servicing the engine. these go in place of the original engine inspection cover so no modifications to the truck are needed.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5516&hilit=console
That's a nice option!
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

TechMOGogy wrote:Mine is grounded to the 5 bar which is grounded to the body
I like your cup holders :)
IMG_7362.JPG
Did you put a switch on your Orion green plug to turn it off when you're driving and not using any 12V things? Just wondering if it gets hot or makes noise that would be good to turn off. Lots of times when we're driving it we won't be using CB, Ham or the DC outlet.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

It has a fan but never comes on as it does not seem to get hot in the application I am using it.
No switch was installed but a breaker was, so technically I could turn it off using that but it just stays on as it is used for
the electric steering so it kinda needs to stay on :)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

12V system is finished and working. GPS works! No burning smells or sparks either! Got a new 8 AWG ratcheting crimper and stripper from Del City to finish up the 8 AWG work, they are great. Now on to programming the Ham radio and tuning the CB antenna. Thanks for everyone's help.
IMG_1258 copy.jpg
IMG_1258 copy.jpg (380.98 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
IMG_1259 copy.jpg
IMG_1259 copy.jpg (415.87 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
New Del City stripper and ratcheting crimper on top, old stuff on bottom.
New Del City stripper and ratcheting crimper on top, old stuff on bottom.
IMG_1260 copy.jpg (629.25 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

The Ham radio programming and test went great today. Hit a repeater 30 miles away, transmission and reception loud and clear both ways. Simplex between the Pinz and my Rubicon was perfect as well. My Diamond NR770HB no-ground antenna is great. Temprorarily set up the Yaesu FT-7900R remote head to program the channels, then it will be back on the radio for actual trips since all we have to do then is set the channel and forget it.

The Ham antenna is a no-ground plane, so I'll find out tomorrow when I do the CB radio how good the RF ground is for the antennas.
IMG_1261 copy.jpg
IMG_1261 copy.jpg (373.37 KiB) Viewed 7551 times
IMG_1262 copy.jpg
IMG_1262 copy.jpg (484.79 KiB) Viewed 7551 times
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

Got the CB antenna tuned in today. Works great, no need for any additional grounding. SWR readings are:

Ch 1 1.7, Ch 8 1.3, Ch 20 <1, Ch 40 1.6

So everything's done on this 24V-12V conversion!
IMG_1263 copy.jpg
IMG_1263 copy.jpg (554.61 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Really nice work. I'm going to be doing some similar electrical over winter break and got some good ideas from your build. I'll post up some pics once I get started.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

We found that it's very hard to hear the Ham and CB radios going at highway speeds. So today I added external speakers to both. Used a Yaesu MLS-100 speaker like I have in my Rubicon for the Yaesu FT-7900R ham radio, and a Uniden Bearcat BC-7 speaker for the Uniden Pro 520XL CB. The MLS-100 speaker is awesome, tons of theater type volume and it is great. Haven't used the CB speaker yet but should be an improvement. Strapped up high on the center divider with velcro buckle straps. Sturdy but easy to remove if desired.
IMG_2660 copy.jpg
IMG_2660 copy.jpg (481.69 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
IMG_2659 copy.jpg
IMG_2659 copy.jpg (447.6 KiB) Viewed 6729 times