Newbie with lots of questions...

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Bobby Bourgoin

Newbie with lots of questions...

Post by Bobby Bourgoin »

Greetings;
I will try to keep this short but I have lots of questions....
Start with a short intro; I live in Canada (Quebec City) where we get lots of snow and really cold temperatures (-40 C or F comes out to the same), and highs in summer around 40C or 100F...
I drove trucks for the Military for 15 years. But I'm not very mechanically inclined.
I am thinking of getting a Pinz 712m as a daily driver and week-end off-roader.
Now for the questions;
-Can a torque converter be added between the clutch and engine? (I know funny set-up, but prevents riding the clutch when crawling and keeps the control of a manual tranny)
-I was thinking of adding an electric power steering what would be best?
-How about and aftermarket overdrive, something like Gear Vendors? I'm not wanting to go faster than 90-100km/h (55-60mph), just bring the rpms a little lower.
-Can a larger gas tank be installed that would take up the place of the old one and the jerry can spot?
-What is the size (stock and max) of the tires (will be looking to upgrade those asap)?
-Being an air cooled engine, does placing a winch in the front of the grill, just above the bumper cause any problems?
- Is there enough room next to the tube that goes from the rear axle to the pintle hook, for a rear mounted winch?
-How's the heat work? Any suggestions on aftermarket heat/ac?
-I will/would like to add quit a bit of electrical (lights, sound system, heated mirrors, CB radio, GPS....) Can the alternator be upgraded or a second one added?
I still have some questions but I guess this post is long enough.

THANKS
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Newbie with lots of questions...

Post by TechMOGogy »

Welcome
Be sure to fill out your location in your profile too!
Search can help with many of your questions.

Now for the questions;
-Can a torque converter be added between the clutch and engine? (I know funny set-up, but prevents riding the clutch when crawling and keeps the control of a manual tranny)
This one I would say no!

EI system: https://www.expedition-imports.com/Pinz ... c_331.html

-How about and aftermarket overdrive, something like Gear Vendors? I'm not wanting to go faster than 90-100km/h (55-60mph), just bring the rpms a little lower.
See this thread:viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8909
Not easy and lots of custom engineering and machining

-Can a larger gas tank be installed that would take up the place of the old one and the jerry can spot?
Yes talk to Andre from Fat Fabrications: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10818&p=81090&hilit=andre#p81090

-What is the size (stock and max) of the tires (will be looking to upgrade those asap)?
Many run 255/85R16 but some run 285/75R16 but some report a bit of rubbing at full crank.

-Being an air cooled engine, does placing a winch in the front of the grill, just above the bumper cause any problems?
No

- Is there enough room next to the tube that goes from the rear axle to the pintle hook, for a rear mounted winch?
See this thread: viewtopic.php?p=80758#p80758

Canadian cold and it won't keep up but I get hot when it's just above zero out)
Many after market ones like a BN4 from a Pinz Ambulance (you can search BN4)
Also many aftermarket units out there that can be adapted to work

-I will/would like to add quit a bit of electrical (lights, sound system, heated mirrors, CB radio, GPS....) Can the alternator be upgraded or a second one added?
Check out GadgetPhreak's build thread re: Roof Rack, he has a ton of lights and radios

Enjoy and read the forum - I started at the top and went through every post :)
Cheers,
Dan
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hi Bobby,
Welcome. I'll take a shot at answering some of those. Others will offer different opinions, I expect. EDIT, I see Dan already did.

I am thinking of getting a Pinz 712m as a daily driver and week-end off-roader.
They are maintenance heavy, so perhaps not the best daily driver. But hey, knock yourself out. You have driven/ridden one already, I assume? They are noisy, slow, etc. in addition to being great trucks.

Now for the questions;
I doubt it. Just let the clutch out and stay out of it.

EI sells 'em. See link at top of page. Unless you're going to design your own, but as you said about not being mechanically inclined...

I think you'll find a lack of power if you overdrive it much. Getting 55mph out of a 90hp engine in a 712 takes most of what you've got.

Yes. Andre and others make them.

I don't remember. Do a search, because this topic has been covered many times, ad nauseum. You generally can't go too much bigger without rubbing, unless you use spacers. Rubbing can lead to big failures if the wheel drive rotates on the axle stub.

No.

Again, search. Dave Dunn had a nice setup which was shown recently, mounted to the pintle mount. I'm not sure if you'd have room beside it or not. Might depend on the winch? I'd think the center would be stronger.

What heat? Ever ridden in an old VW bug? It's marginal in cold regions, but improved with insulated duct. I think most guys use a diesel heater nowdays. I recently heard of a Russian one. Can't recall the brand right now...

I've heard of guys getting a bit more out of the stock alternator, but I don't have specifics. Mounting a second one would probably require a double pulley, which might be a challenge. Again, a search should provide you with details on what's been tried before. Focus on low amp devices too.

Good luck, and enjoy.
Paul
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
bbolander
United States of America

Post by bbolander »

265/75R16 is a good tire size, similar to the OEM diameter and about an inch wider. BFG MT KM2's have a military look to them. No spacers required, stock wheels OK and no rubbing.
1971 Pinzgauer 710M, all stock including 245-16 Maloya tires, taken off and stored for show
BFG MT KM2 265/75R16's on Black SAV replacement rims on now
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

For everything you're wanting to change on a 712M, buy a 718 :wink: . They are out there with auto trans, improved road speeds, standard power steering, real heat, larger fuel tank, 100amp alternator.

Being in Canada, you could import up to a 2002 gray market vehicle (vehicles over 15 years old for Canada). If you can find a LHD 718 and get over the 'sticker shock', you'd probably have at least that much into a 712 after your mods.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Bobby Bourgoin

Post by Bobby Bourgoin »

David Dunn, trouble is finding a LHD 718... And getting it imported, and licensed.
In Montreal (about 2.5 hour drive from here) there is a guy that import/sells Pinzes, and when I talked to him he said 718 are impossible to get. Ok 712 are HARD to get but still easier than 718s...
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Oh, you don't need to tell me about TDs. LOL Up to 2000, there were less than 6000 total 716/718 Pinzes made.. hardtop/softtop and LHD/RHD, and a little over 1200 afterwards, almost all RHD.

It's just a bit easier to import into Canada than the USA because of the 15 year... Whereas all the SDP made TDs are available to you, roughly only 2500 are importable to the US, at this time :wink: ... if you're not picky on body and what side you sit on to steer. :lol:

As for impossible, this last year, a 718M and 718K had both had come up for sale in the US and another 718M imported, all LHD, on top of the occasional SOCOM Pinz being re-sold.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

$30k range?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

255/85-16
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I know where some fully restored 718M's will be!
Have everything and are manual.
They will not be cheap but if your serious PM me (like David said, with all the changes you want to make to 712 you may well be at the same price point).
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

TechMOGogy wrote:I know where some fully restored 718M's will be!
They will not be cheap but if your serious PM me (like David said, with all the changes you want to make to 712 you may well be at the same price point).
Share with us all?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

audiocontr wrote:
TechMOGogy wrote:I know where some fully restored 718M's will be!
Share with us all?
I am not a fully vested partner as of yet so I will let the driver of the bus comment on the open forum.
If you PM me I am happy to share