Brake Lights stay on

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Buzz
United States of America

Brake Lights stay on

Post by Buzz »

I have noticed my brake lights are staying on after I back out of the garage and have stepped on the brake pedal a couple times. They do not come on after it has sat for awhile and its first started. Only after I use the brakes a couple pulses.
The master cylinder is less than a year old. But I reused the brake sensor, which I had replaced probably five or six years ago?
Ideas? Replace the sensor? Maybe the master is holding pressure it should not? The truck drives fine.
Thanks, Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Brake Lights stay on

Post by pcolette »

I would try the brake light switch. I recall that Jim L. mentioned somewhere on the forum that one of the VW switches works and is less expensive than the Steyr part.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Thanks Paul,
I checked my maintenance log and found I replaced that switch in 2005! I'll poke around and see if I can find Jim's post. - Buzz
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Found the thread under "tapered brake light switch". It was Scott's post.
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Buzz,
I checked my notes and found it is the same as an 81 VW Rabbit but there are 2 types and only 1 works. I remember 1 having tapered threads and the other is straight. Not sure which is correct. I'll keep looking...
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Ah, that's why I didn't find it.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Tapered threads as I recall. The taper is barely discernible, but it should be there. Don't try to save money on this and get the wrong one, it is not worth it.
It's only $22 from SAV.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

from other thread
ExpeditionImports wrote:What an absolute joke. The PROPER non-tapered switch is readily available. The idea that it is acceptable to use a pipe thread switch in a Metric straight thread application is garbage. The idea that it is being portrayed as acceptable "with a little teflon tape..." to make the seal is just as bad.

http://www.expedition-imports.com/produ ... nimog.html

These will be available from most foreign auto houses as it is a very common metric brake switch. Are you guys really willing to bastardize your trucks over $5-10 on the brake system?

Cheers,

Scott

Thank You Scott
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Buzz
United States of America

Post by Buzz »

Got a new switch from Scott today. That solved the problem.
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

My brake light switch just failed so I'm grabbing one of the compatible parts from Scott's list (thanks Scott).

Two questions:

1. Will I lose pressure and have to re-bleed the brakes when I change out the switch? I suspect so but thought I'd check..

2. Both terminal connectors on the brake light switch connections are "slightly burnt/discolored" what would cause that? I'll swap both out when I replace the switch but curious if there's a known root cause? II did some searching but couldn't find a similar case here on the board.

Thanks,
Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I suppose a bad switch could heat up and cook the connections - but it would not be likely if you are running LED tail lights. I suppose if you have some larger regular bulb brake lights it would be more possible. The bulbs on the stock tail lights are pretty small.

The master will probably not require a rebleeding of the brakes if you swap it out quickly.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Haf-e wrote:I suppose a bad switch could heat up and cook the connections - but it would not be likely if you are running LED tail lights. I suppose if you have some larger regular bulb brake lights it would be more possible. The bulbs on the stock tail lights are pretty small.

The master will probably not require a rebleeding of the brakes if you swap it out quickly.
Thanks.

Previous owner put the TD tail lights on it, not sure if they are larger bulbs than stock or not. I'll be swapping over to LED shortly (order already placed, just waiting on parts to arrive).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

When you switch to LED bulbs keep in mind they have a lower current draw and things may not work as you plan. May have to change the flasher unit. I avoided that issue by just adding the LED lights to the existing circuit and left the existing tail lights in place. I drilled out the place for the reflectors and put the LED light unto in their place.
I did this because the stock lights were not bright enough to be visible for other vehicles approaching my 50 MPH pinz at 80 while they were on the phone or texting.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Both terminal connectors on the brake light switch connections are "slightly burnt/discolored" what would cause that?
Heat, obviously! But seriously, poor connections always cause heat when current flows through them. The poor connections could be due to corrosion in the crimp to the wire (the most common reason), poor grip to the blades on the switch, and possibly even from poor switch connections creating heat and passing it up to the terminals (not nearly as likely as the first possibility). Poor connections ALWAYS get worse so you might as well cut those connectors off and install new ones. To do a good job that will last you must have "real" crimp tools with quality connectors. A good crimp will last longer than the truck ever will; do the best job you can.
Jim M.
712W and 710M