Wanted Volvo C303

4x4's and 6x6's, parts, services and goods for sale. Dealers posting vehicle ads must donate something to the cause.
keithcbrand

Wanted Volvo C303

Post by keithcbrand »

I"m looking for a Volvo 303, good shape is preferable but I can finish the right project. Ready to buy, I can travel to retrieve it.
keithcbrand

Re: Wanted Volvo C303

Post by keithcbrand »

Never mind I found one. Super excited
m15256
United States of America

Post by m15256 »

Let us know what you found.
Always interested in other C303. Where are you located?
keithcbrand

Post by keithcbrand »

I found a 1977 C303 in Wisconsin. It should get to my hometown, Carbondale Colorado in a week or so. It's a bit beat up, been sitting for 6 years but the replacement Mercedes turbo diesel runs and the vehicle is supposedly road worthy. I hope for it to become my daily driver. I'll be looking for help and suggestions on what to do to it. Disc brakes are high on the list to start.
yano

Post by yano »

congrats 8)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

keithcbrand wrote: I hope for it to become my daily driver.
You may want to have another car on hand... that isn't something that generally works out unless you live a very relaxed lifestyle in a small town.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

m15256
United States of America

Post by m15256 »

I took a look at that listing from Wisconsin.
With the throttle and choke up above the heater controls and the 4WD indicator lever to the right of the diff locks is it a civilian model? My diff lock controls are labeled in Swedish not English. I don't have an indicator lever. Just the light.
What voltage is it?
I hope that paint job on the front is just a really quick paint job and not hiding a rust issue. How does it look below the windshield frame?

I use mine as a daily driver. BUT I keep an F250 Super Duty all set to go. Also I live on an island so daily driving is VERY short.
keithcbrand

Post by keithcbrand »

Its 12 volt. It came with a machine gun mount so I'm guessing it's not civilian but... I got it last night and it's pretty rough, some rust, patches welded in and loads of peeling bondo smeared on between one of its 7 or 8 paint jobs with apparently very little prep. I couldn't help myself and dove in with a grinder to peel it back and see what I had. I'm about halfway through the sides and assessing my options. It'll never be pretty but I'LL make it etter than it is and I'll the deterioration.
I am concerned with getting it mechanically in quite good condition including all the little stuff like latches, switches ETC.
The engine has been swapped out for a Mercedes SD300 that runs poorly. It looks well done but I'd prefer a modern gas engine and something close to or above original RPM capacity. Can anyone point me towards knowledge about what fits, what's doable? No need for huge horsepower.
I'm mechanically inclined with bodyshop experience but this is my first real project vehicle so I'm open to any and all advice.