710K cabin sleeping setups?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
unipus

710K cabin sleeping setups?

Post by unipus »

As long as I'm here, I'd be interested in seeing/hearing ideas on cool sleep setups for a 710K. I'd like to get mine into shape for cruising and camping, while still leaving the interior as stock as possible. Without removing the rear shelves, this means getting a bed/cot up fairly high in the cabin. I've measured that out and it's a tight fit with clearance but totally doable... but maybe I'm overlooking other clever ideas. Keeping the desk and the rear seats is a requirement. The shelves I could probably live without as long as there was some sort of practical replacement.
rmel
United States of America

Re: 710K cabin sleeping setups?

Post by rmel »

Well it's a cramped space in these Radio trucks. I got a bunk outta my 710K
thanks to my two Dobermans :wink: Heck, they needed a space to hangout
while driving to campsites. What I did for them was to remove one of the rear
seats, and drop a piece of Marine grade plywood over the foot-well area, also
a piece over the open area from the rear door to the tool box -- anchored
appropriately but easily removable. Dogs like it, then I realized, heck I could
bed down there too :P Saves pitching a tent when going solo, but when the
Dogs and Mrs come it's tent time -- no room for a crowd.. But that's my solution
for a quick and dirty. Plan on fabricating something more versitle, but never
thought about something suspended mid-air :?

It's odd in the sense that the space back there it way too tight to make a
camper but then again it's amazing how much stuff I can stuff in that
space :shock:
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

All of that stuff unbolts extremely easily so why keep it in there? I had to throw away shelves after removing them for a 710K build once; no one would take them, even for free. (Maybe you are using them somehow?) You could always store that stuff in a closet somewhere and bolt it back in when selling. Trying to make a bed work around them, plus the seats, seems a little unrealistic, or you could hang a hammock in there.

I have a full 5ft11" long bed that works inside a 2-door Gwagen which has far less room in it, so it can definitely be done. I took out my beach seat, which took 10 minutes, and stored it in a small storage space, then built a platform from 3/4" plywood which has a piano hinge on a 1.5' section which folds out to make a full size bed when my front seats are flipped forward.

My favorite setup in a forward cab 4x4 was in a Volvo C303 which is similar to the K. The bed was made to one side and also had a piano hinge on another piece of wood the same size as the bed's base, which doubled the bed size when the top piece was flipped down. That way you could fold it up in the morning and walk in the middle of the cargo area. The other wall had the stove and fridge.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

I took apart the shelving baskets. Moved one of the shelving support brackets forward over the table and bolted it into existing body holes. Then stretched a Swiss casualty litter across the brackets. I can place two of them side by side ( over folded down factory seats). I can stack them on one side with a cargo strap supporting the lower one in mid air(like C303's). Then fold them up, and stow them cross ways where the shelves used to be allowing full use of the seating.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
unipus

Post by unipus »

Yeah, I was thinking about litters, which have the mounts for leg supports, which I figure in turn could have a base installed in the floor or maybe folded down. There is just enough room going back-to-front from the rear door to the desk for me, a fairly tall person, to fit. There's not enough vertical clearance to hang a hammock, I don't think.

But like I said, maybe I'm being too precious about these shelves. I am using them for parts and tool storage, but I'm sure I could come up with a more streamlined solution.
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

I bought a 710k in Jan and have been pondering sleeping setup ideas. The shelf rails that came with it are just too high! So I was considering just spanning the width with 2x4s behind rear seats... and making platform there (that can open/close/remove). Then making spars between the rear seats over to the table that can be removed and would support platform segments (3 across). This platform would be removable/configurable too. So you could pull out the right side to be able to use the right passenger seat. The platform would clear the seats when tipped forward. I have mocked it up and it seems like it would work as long as you could stow/fold away the pieces easily.

All just ideas. Currently my 710k is in a tow yard, unable to steer properly due to rusted out driver floor and torn out steering anchors.
-Erik in Colorado
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

So, for all of you guys that are considering the removal of shelves, shelf support bars and tables, I would be very interested in them. I have a 710k that I am bringing back to near original configuration and unfortunately it does not have these items. Thanks!

Now back to original programming.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG