Handbrake adjustment

Technical articles by owners, for owners.
pinzinator

Handbrake adjustment

Post by pinzinator »

There was an earlier post about the handbrake, which I could relate to. Mine didn't want to hold, and the thought of tearing it down for an inspection wasn't appealing. So I got out the maunal to see what the proceedure was for agjustment.
The manual said the handle should pull out about 90-100mm for engagement, let's call it 4 inches. The brake lever at the rear of the vehicle has a pin which connects the cable, this pin should also travel the SAME distance, 4 inches. I measured mine and they weren't even close.
I pulled the handle out 4 inches and used that as my default setting, this measurement could not change. I taped the ruler to the handle so you can see the distance easier.
Underneath the Pinz I noted the position of the pin in the retracted position.
Then I measured the position of the pin in relation to the retracted position. Here I show the same 4 inches which is correct (after all adjustments). If it is not the same, remove the pin and adjust the cable so the pin travel is 4 inches. You won't get it right the first time or the second. Each time you think you have it right, adjust the brake nut on the opposite side so the brake is fully engaged.
The brake nut is very sensitive to adjustments, 90 degrees of rotation can make a big difference, so you may have to go back and re-adjust the cable length again either way when completed. Check the handbrake by positioning the Pinz on a hill and see if it rolls, don't use the clutch to test it. You will have to go through this proceedure several times before you get it right, and when you do the brake will be like new, unless the discs are junk. The last thing you do it pre-tension the cable by twisting it 2-3 times (clockwise, facing the front of the vehicle), this takes the slack out but doesn't affect adjustment.
Kirby

thanks

Post by Kirby »

:D good job on the write up... I printed and will check mine next time I get to it..... it holds the pinz fine, but will check the measurements at least..

Thanks
Pinzing is AWESOME.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Thanks for the detailed write-up with photos! I've added it to my archives for future reference.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Handbrake adjustment

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

This one as well?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

If the photobucket account is public, we can grab the full resolution images... This one is private. And with the proper search string, I can get the image location... like for this

use the topic, followed by the site, then click on the images tab of google. ... "Handbrake adjustment site:http://real4x4forums.com"
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I did a google search the site's address and put in, for example, DSC06379.jpg which is one of the original pic names, but all I can find is a small, fuzzy 320pxl photo. I didnt think they were that small originally. ?
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

You are correct! The actual images are much bigger. The image that google was allowed to index has been reduced by photo*ucket. If the photobucket account is "public" than you can drill down to the actual image. In this case the account for "rmf1958" is set as "private". So, we cannot drill into the user's folder.

As you noticed, this is a painfully slow process due to all the popup ads.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ