Wheel Bearing Seals

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Haf-e
United States of America

Wheel Bearing Seals

Post by Haf-e »

As I have been running the disc brakes now for a couple of months on my Pinzgauer 710M, I've been wondering what other changes should be considered as well.

I've heard from a couple of people that Jim at Goatwerks says that the wheel bearing seals should be upgraded when a disc brake conversion is done to a more "modern" type seal that has double lips rather than the original single lip type which is used. I couldn't come up with why that would be - the bearing isn't affected by drum vs. discs - but I am sure he is right and I don't doubt his well earned opinion.

So - I've asked a couple of "bearing" guys that question and one today finally came up with some reasoning that made sense to me. He says the second lip on the seal is just there to work as a "dust seal" to keep foreign material out of the seal - which would wear and even damage the seal resulting in leaks.
Double Lipped Oil Seal Wheel SKF explained.jpg
Double Lipped Oil Seal Wheel SKF explained.jpg (38.47 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
On the drum brake setup the seal is mounted in a well protected area that limits what can hit the seal. With disc brakes, there is more opportunity for dirt/mud/water to reach the seal - so a better seal with a double lip is needed to achieve long life.

That seemed like solid reasoning - so I ended up ordering a pair of SKF brand seals with double lips that should drop right in place of the original seals (not really a drop-in swap as its more like an all day project to change one of the wheel bearing seals actually)

I'll post up the model number and some photos once it arrives. Hopefully its the right one - but they were only about $7 each plus shipping ($10).
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
rmel
United States of America

Re: Wheel Bearing Seals

Post by rmel »

Makes darn good sense. Can you post the source and PN# for these double lipped seals.
I've got one wheel drive that will need a seal job at some point in time, may as well get
the parts and be ready.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Well, changing from drum to disk brakes includes a new hub in most cases.
At that point you have the best opportunity to replace the seal"just in case"...
Going to the best solution currently available also makes sense, so pick the dual lip seal

Swiss Pinzgauers have a thicker (60 mm) wear ring on the hub, they require the seal W60-78-9 BASL
the standard size is 55 mm on the hub, here the seal is W55-78-10 BASL

hope that helps
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Yup! With you on the 60mm wear ring better choice over the 55mm.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q