John Deere, HMMV or Land Rover Hitch Receiver options

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: John Deere Hitch Receiver

Post by Jimm391730 »

Interesting - I don't think I have ever seen a 5 bolt version before!
My '76 712W has the 5 bolt pattern. IIRC, the new holes are actually threaded for bolts (which I used when I made my hitch).
Jim M.
712W and 710M
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Hello Gents,
I am not sure if I am following well the discussion with respect to what I am thinking. Based on the available receivers available on the market, my plan was to use the already installed part "7101313720" (based on the previous post. In that case, the 5 hole vs 3 hole configuration is irrelevant. I was hoping to bold one of the receivers shown in the links I posted to the 4 bolt side of the part. Any thoughts?

Jerome
Jerome
CRJ Driver
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Take a look at this one. Do you guys think the Pinz pintle can be disassembled to go through that hole??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M998-HUMVEE-HM ... Sw8d5ZV-x1

I think I am buying this!
Jerome
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The hole looks too small for the Pinzgauer's pintle hitch. You'll also have a part hanging down acting like a plow when you attempt to climb up a step or steep grade. Unless you really use the pintle hitch, I would just go with the 2 inch receiver myself...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
boeing7873
Argentina

Re: John Deere, HMMV or Land Rover Hitch Receiver options

Post by boeing7873 »

No.. I have no reason to keep the pintle hitch, and have not really thought about the escape angle intrusion. Having said that, I don't do serious off road, and I would rather have the original hitch mounted to the truck, and not in a cardboard box in the basement :cry: . Hate to see the other parts that I don't use there! ;)

I am trying to convince the manufacturer of those receivers to let me buy one with a return policy, I don't really like the idea of buying a black oversize paperweight if it turns out difficult to mount.

Best,
JC
Jerome
CRJ Driver
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

I've got a receiver from Federal Military Parts, apparently different vehicles. (M998 HUMVEE HMMWV M151A1 JEEP PINBALL TRAILER HITCH 2" RECEIVER)
Check the link above for the Ebay listing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6pvS ... E0MnFyN1ZN

Not bad! The only issue is that the center hole is about 4mm too small, therefore the pintle axle does not go all the way through it and I could not install the back end. Therefore what you see in the picture is the objective, but wont be able to fully test the installation until I enlarge that center hole on the receiver.
It does work well without the pintle, if you are ok with the decrease in escape angle. I don't think it looks bad either.

Will update when I enlarge the hole and try to reinstall the back part of the pintle.

Best,
JC
Jerome
CRJ Driver
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Folks

Following the thread I honesty do not understand the need for the square tube. As far as I know you insert the towbar ball (or whatever you call it) there.
There are several alternatives to attach the ball directly.
I use a plate that is attached to the parking brake flange at the bottom

later that year I spotted a Landrover part where the shackle can revolve; Bearmach BA 2682

Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

The 2" square hole (called a receiver in the US) allows for a variety of attachments - tow bars, baskets, bike racks and recovery shackles.

In the US there are different size tow balls depending on the weight of the trailer - so being able to swap them easily is important. There are even tow bars with three balls which can simple be rotated and reinstalled.

Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com