Front half axles

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
SAM. C.

Front half axles

Post by SAM. C. »

I hope there is an obvious answer to this. I have just removed both front wheel drives by splitting the axles. I have them stood upright on the wheel studs and the drive shafts are sticking up. When I turn the splined end of one the hub moves as you would expect, the other feels like it is locked. Can anyone explain this? What prompted this whole disassembly was the fact that the locker engage and disengage is very slow and sticky but I don’t think this is related I am just curious as to why the hubs behave differently.

Thanks in advance.

Sam
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: Front half axles

Post by Jimm391730 »

Try flexing the steering joint and see if this helps to "unlock" the rotation. The CV steering joint is MASSIVE (especially compared to other 4x4s and that there is additional torque reduction within the hub gears) so it is possible that there is a bit of grit or rust that is binding. When I first got our 710M I had to replace the hub seal; this particular truck had been sitting for several years and the CV joint was somewhat rusty (surface rust); I soaked it in gasoline and kept moving and massaging the motion until most of the free rust was cleaned off and then it moved much more easily.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

If they are standing up on the wheel studs then turning the splined end of the axle shouldn't allow rotation since the wheel studs are in contact with the ground.

Do you still have the brake drums on? One could be binding?
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

If they are standing up on the wheel studs then turning the splined end of the axle shouldn't allow rotation since the wheel studs are in contact with the ground.
No, if the studs of the axle prevent the axle from rotating then turning the driveshaft will allow it to "orbit" around the axle (taking the hub assembly with it).

But dragging brakes would explain it all. If no brake drum then you might have "crap" that is binding between the teeth of the hub gears. The hub is easy to split and check, and easy to re-assemble (using aviation sealant). No special tools required.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
SAM. C.

Post by SAM. C. »

Sorted thanks chaps. Was very simple the cap head bolts from the mounting bracket had fallen through and fouled with th rotating hub. Thanks for the input have all axles pressed off now and single piece boots installed and looking good.

Thanks again.

Sam