My latest project - Disc Brakes for a 710/712

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: My latest project - Disc Brakes for a 710/712

Post by Haf-e »

I agree with Vince - but an additional issue is that there are very few wheels (either stock or aftermarket) that have enough back spacing. The original Pinz wheels have 6.6" / 168mm (which is unusual since the wheel is 6.5 inches wide).

The ford transit wheel is close - it has a backspacing of 6.2" / 158mm and also is 6.5 inches wide.

The MB Sprinter rims have 6.5" / 166mm backspacing but are only 6" wide.

I've been talking with a vintage steel wheel builder about a custom steel wheel that will have the proper backspacing and be available in 6", 7" and 8" widths and will work on both 5x160 and 5x130 PCDs. His wheels are DOT stamped, have dual safety bead humps and very reasonably priced. They will be very heavy duty and look very much like military wheels. He can also include bolt on aluminum rock rings for additional rim / tire protection.

I'll post more details once I get them.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Well - I finally got the time to do a full test of the Ford Transit wheels with the disc brake conversion kit. Here are some pictures of the wheels mounted on the front axle with 255/85-16 Interco Trxus tires:
Pinz transit front wheel.jpg
Pinz transit front wheel.jpg (499.72 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
I was able to test them both on the road and in the mud - here is a good comparison of the Transit and Sprinter wheels:
Pinz side transit sprinter  wheel.jpg
Pinz side transit sprinter wheel.jpg (666.01 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
The Transit wheels are 3/4" father outward than the sprinter wheels - but the steering effort was reasonable and no adverse handling was noticed with this size of tire (which, in my opinion, is the perfect tire size for a Pinz). Even in the mud there wasn't an issue with the tires throwing up too much mud - none was hitting the mirror or door in any significant amounts.

The Sprinter wheels (6 inch wide x 16) are exactly flush with the stock wooden side rails, BTW. Here is a view from the back with the sprinter and transit wheels installed and the same size of tires:
Pinz Transit Sprinter wheel rear view.jpg
Pinz Transit Sprinter wheel rear view.jpg (694.24 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
I've ordered more parts for the kits and will have them in stock again soon. I sold out of the first batch and there will soon be 5 trucks with the conversion kits on the road. I'll be updating the website soon with these photos and all of the information on the Transit wheels.

Cheers!

Haf-e / Christopher

www.klugewerks.com
Attachments
Pinz Transit front wheel front view.jpg
Pinz Transit front wheel front view.jpg (545.35 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

BTW - the Transit steel wheels weigh in at 34 lbs each - the Sprinter wheels are 30 lbs - my notes say that a stock Pinzgauer steel wheel weighs 26 lbs but that was with a less accurate scale and I don't have one on hand to reweigh.

The same steel wheels are used on the 150, 250 and 350 versions of the Ford Transit - and the T-350 versions are rated to over 4000 lbs of cargo capacity (total) which seems very suitable for a Pinzgauer.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

www.klugewerks.com
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

This is great and the website is well done
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker