Locker Switch Operation.

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
cronapress
Great Britain

Locker Switch Operation.

Post by cronapress »

Hi Folks. 2 out of the 4 lights for the lockers fail to illuminate when levers are thrown. Have checked the bulb filaments and connections to the holders. All clean and tight. The feed to the lamp "daisy chain" is live. I'm thinking I might have a couple of "iffy" switches down below. Question.... Before taking the pressed metal caps off to check the actual switch that lurks beneath, if I temporarily earth the single wire connection thereto, should that bring the associated lamp on ?? I'm presuming that the switch contacts are normally "open" ?

Any help/confirmation appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike.
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Locker Switch Operation.

Post by pcolette »

Yes, temporarily earthing (grounding) the single wire at each switch should turn on the associated lamp.
Sometimes the switches get a bit gummed up and need a good cleaning.

Good luck!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

And while your at it, put an ohm meter on the switch terminal to ground
with the locker on -- should be a very low reading.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

Thanks for replies folks. Only just returned to looking at the beast after an unavoidable delay. Checked all the switches. They work ok. Someone suggested (offline) to check fluid levels in associated boxes - all correct. Since resuming work on it, ALL the locker lamps now fail to illuminate ! Am suspecting a common denominator. Connections to lamp holders ok - as are bulbs of course. A prime suspect (looking at the wiring diagram) is item #10 "Plug Connection". It is the one shown schematically adjacent to the locker switches. Question... where does this plug connector actually live ?. The wiring behind the dash is a rat's nest. Many elec. mods done by previous owner, and I don't want to poke around that area without good cause. Things are working hydraulically and mechanically. It would be nice to have the lights that say things are engaged !

Thanks as always.

Mike.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Does your backup light work? That circuit goes through that connector as well (#10).
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

All the locker lights (as well as the rest of the dash lights) go through the blackout light positions on the light switch; and those spade or ring connectors get really brittle, and break right between the ring or spade and the wire crimp so they be extremely difficult to determine where a broken wire went to! Be gentle inside the dash.
Jim M.
712W and 710M