Scary lock-up on motorway

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Bermo

Re: Scary lock-up on motorway

Post by Bermo »

Could anyone guide me on how to troubleshoot the front diff lock actuation? Is there a way to manually disengage the front diff lock?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Is there a way to manually disengage the front diff lock?
Remove the locker slave cylinder and manually move the locker mechanism (assuming it is free to move). You should be able to lock it with pressure, a spring should return it to the unlocked position - the slave only activates the "lock" (through a spring, in case the splines are not yet lined up) and when released, a separate spring should push back against the slave as it releases.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Bermo

Post by Bermo »

Thanks, will give that a go.
Bermo

Post by Bermo »

I removed the slave cylinder that locks the front diff, I could see the springs and everything looked OK as far as I could tell. I remounted it and drove the truck forward and backwards and was able to engage and disengage the front diff. That is, I flipped the lever and I felt the diff lock engage and the light came on. When I returned the lever the light went off and I could feel the diff lock disengage, as in, I could steer again. So, miraculously, everything seems normal, I can drive around OK and can steer as normal. The only odd thing is that when I jacked up the front axle and turned one wheel the other wheel still turns in sync with it as though it was locked. But when driving the wheel are obviously not locked because I can steer easily. Strange?? Tonight I will drain the oil from the diff, look for metal and fill it with new oil.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The only odd thing is that when I jacked up the front axle and turned one wheel the other wheel still turns in sync with it as though it was locked. But when driving the wheel are obviously not locked because I can steer easily. Strange??
I'm sorry to suggest that the bevel gears in the diff may be damaged (or the shaft that they ride on is bent, I've seen that happen with exec I) in that bevel gears have enough drag that with hand pressure they seem "locked" but with engine force and truck weight they turn with more than hand force. Support both ends of the axle, when you look into the drain hole try to see if the bevel gear shaft ends seem to rotate in the same plane (meaning that one end of the shaft does not seem farther forward or backwards from the other end).
Last edited by Jimm391730 on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Bermo

Post by Bermo »

Thanks Jimmy. Would that be a full diff replacement or just part? Looks like I will have to get it to a shop and get the diff taken apart. I'll have a look through the drain hole ss you suggested and see what I can see. I think the oil may have leaked although I never saw any oil on the ground, but as others have said, it can just go into another part of the drive train. There is oil on the exterior of the diff.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Well, you have to pull the diff out to both evaluate it and replace what is needed. Execution II improved the bevel gears shaft bearing area and improved lubrication, compared to Exec I. As long as no really big metal pieces damaged any other parts (like be getting wedged in between the pinion and ring gears) if this is the issue then you may only need to do the Exec II upgrade; in this case the cost of the parts is much less than the cost of the labor to fix it. While someone is in the diff it is usually a wise investment to replace bearings and seals - again, the cost of the parts is small compared to the labor.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Bermo

As far as I can tell, Dale at Haflingertechnik or Greg at SGB would be the closest ports o call to you.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Bermo

Post by Bermo »

I drained the oil from the front diff and this is what I found. Very fine steel filings, and some larger pieces of gold coloured filings. Is this normal wear? Only about 1 litre of oil drained out, but at least 2 litres went in on refill. There were black streaks through the old oil, fine iron filings I imagine. The gear oil was 80W90 GL-5.
Attachments
brass filings1.jpg
brass filings1.jpg (800.62 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
diff plug1.jpg
diff plug1.jpg (426.85 KiB) Viewed 7114 times
Bermo

Post by Bermo »

My front differential was stripped down and the following reported:

One of the pinion bearings has seized, and the inner gear has seized to the shaft and picked up. Also all the seals were leaking oil, so needs a set of seals.

Repair is underway.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Sounds like someone ran it without oil or not quite enough.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Lewis
Great Britain

Post by Lewis »

(note to self)... check all my fluid levels again tomorrow :|
1982 710K ex-Bosnian Radio car