Some of my work showing on PBS next week!

All things not relating to the other forums.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Some of my work showing on PBS next week!

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

One of the projects I worked on (for a long time) is showing nationally on PBS, on Monday April 16th!

Here's a clip http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/vide ... ater-clip/

This is part of the "Independent Lens" series. This is a shorter version of the full documentary and even I haven't seen this version yet.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Some of my work showing on PBS next week!

Post by TechMOGogy »

Wow!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Post by Derrickbwg »

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

You do nice work Vince.
I'm still puzzled by some guy who's obviously concerned about his water supply, bitching about Obama. I would think people living there would welcome environmental regulations that protect groundwater. Coal may be nice, but it don't drink so well. I'd be curious to know who he voted for?
They seem caught between opposing interests; they need jobs so they welcome the mining industry, yet that very industry is (in)directly poisoning their water and threatens their health.
Thanks for the heads-up. I plan to watch on Monday.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Thanks. First I want to say that this is not an "environmental film" as it might seem. We didn't set out to make a statement or enhance a political party or movement. It's investigative work which is actually new to me, as I'm trained in fictional, traditional filmmaking techniques. We had no idea it would go in the direction it did. We tried very hard to find facts and get people to talk who might shed light on how this can still be going on today (then in 2014). Like most issues, it's a rabbit hole.

After three years of filming, I found surprises every week - There seemed to be little black and white and mostly grey when comes to issues like this. Regulations can seem good on paper but often have major side effects and can be written in a way that affects other, unrelated parties or is just impractical. People with good intentions can get into a snag and naturally feel they need to protect themselves above all else. Others might just be careless or clumsy, or just really ignorant. Some do put money ahead of health and people but it seems somewhat rare, although you will see that in a very rarely caught on video lobbyist meeting we crashed into. Hindsight is always 20/20.

As far as the coal industry poisoning the water there, that seems to have some truth to it, but we found far bigger issues, being that other industries do much more and worse things to all of us, all over the US and world. That area of WV has a lot of other chemical plants and industries to worry about I think.

A few things in this film may be surprising to people. The EPA, for example, may not be perceived in the same light afterwards. :shock:
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Thanks for those insights. Can't wait to catch the show.
So much of life is more complex than seen at first glance.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

wow that looks a pretty powerful political/environmental documentary.