Spark plug question

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
ziegler

Spark plug question

Post by ziegler »

With the pinzi ssi ignition installed, should I use the NGK plugs with or without the resister. Thank you.
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Spark plug question

Post by pcolette »

From the PinzSSI installation guide:

"CAUTION
NGK BPR6ES resistor spark plugs included with the kit MUST be used at all times, along with resistor plug wires. Always replace the spark plugs/wires with the same resistor type. Failure to do so could damage the module or result in poor performance. Or both!
Replacement wires need to be 800 ohms/ft. PinzSSI has individual replacement wires in stock.
Also, never crank the engine with any spark plug wires disconnected, unless you have the harness unplugged from the ignition coil pack. Failure to do so could also damage the ignition coil/module."

Correct gap is .032".
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Might be good to provide a sticker with the ignition kit to put on it / near it with those warnings - especially the part about not cranking the engine with the plug wires disconnected - its easy to forget about that when doing a compression test, etc.

Thanks for offering this system - I'll be ordering one soon!

Christopher / Haf-e
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

It is never a good idea for any ignition coil to be operated without the proper plug gap; any coil can be damaged due to the much higher than expected voltage without the plug gap to limit the voltage. Fortunately, most coils are relatively robust and are not easily destroyed if you pull the coil lead from the dizzy, for example (which I've done, like most everyone else) but newer coils, such as are part of the SSI are probably more sensitive and less robust than coils of old.

On the other hand, the coil won't mind if you short the output to ground when cranking - doesn't hurt the coil a bit. This is contrary to what most people would expect, so an open coil or plug lead is much more common but possibly damaging to the coil. Try to never crank the engine with the coil or plug HV wire not connected unless the coil "+" terminal has been disconnected.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
ziegler

Post by ziegler »

BPR6ES it is, I did a compression test 2 weeks ago before I found out about the low battery. I wish I would have known. Thanks again guys for the great info.
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

So what is the best procedure with the SSI for cranking the engine over without the plugs installed? Unplug the coil pack and crank away?
-1972 710M
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Yes, you won't harm the system at all doing it that way. The module is a computer that sends a signal to each coil every 360 degrees of crank, so one coil fires every 180 degrees alternately. There is a transistor in the coil pack for each coil, the signal from the module closes the switch 3 times to 12 volts for a few microseconds and the coil fires (3 times in rapid successions). With the plug out the module sees an open circuit, so no harm done.

If you connect the coil to 24 volts the current is doubled that the transistor has to break. This will eventually damage the module for reasons I can't explain.