Rear "K" door into a 712M

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Pinz aus

Rear "K" door into a 712M

Post by Pinz aus »

Hey guys

I have been lurking behind the scenes but doing plenty of reading (and learning) since my last post.
Also since my last post I have become a Pinz owner, a 712M with a hard back canopy fitted.
It's going to tidy up quite nicely I think and I'll put up some more info and my plans sometime soon but I'm after some help and advice at the moment.
I want to fit a rear passenger door to the left side and want it to blend into the vehicle as much as possible.
So:
Has anyone on here fitted rear side doors into an "M"?
Has anyone got dimensions to cut in a door as per factory K spec?
Any photos of a rear left door, footwell, hinge mounts and frame would be greatly appreciated.
Also any other information tips and advice

Thanks
Pinz aus

Re: Rear "K" door into a 712M

Post by Pinz aus »

Here it is
Here it is
IMG_6351.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4705 times
EmbarkChief
United States of America

Post by EmbarkChief »

I can’t answer any of your questions but that is an interesting looking Pinz you have there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-1972 710M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Definitely not for the faint of heart, as the pan needs re-enforcement for the door cutouts.
There was a 712 for sale in Hawaii a couple years back converted from a M to K, but didn't look as any consideration was given to stiffening the pan for off road twisting

Prof Pinz's conversion of his 718M is here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8355

The pan behind the cab is almost identical between a 712 and 718

From your pic it appears you have an Austrian spec'd 712M, depending on it's built, you may have an enlarged fuel tank that will need to be replaced. A gas tank and door don't occupy the same space too well. :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Sorry to go off your topic but your truck is very unique.
Hard sides but soft roof, what’s the box above the rub rails?
Even your door handles are modified!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

David the fuel tank should not be an issue as "Pinz aus" indicated he wants the door on the left side.
I want to fit a rear passenger door to the left side
:P
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

edzz wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:00 pm David the fuel tank should not be an issue as "Pinz aus" indicated he wants the door on the left side.
I want to fit a rear passenger door to the left side
:P
Yea, I skipped over that line, but below he did mention rear side doors. And his post was getting close on my three finger rule. :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Pinz aus

Post by Pinz aus »

Thanks for your comments guys.
I do now remember reading through Prof Pinz's posts ( thanks D.D ) back when I was searching 718's in Aus, what he has done but to a lesser extent and on one side is what I want to achieve!
Because I have the hard sides and I want to fit a hard roof I want something that is in keeping with its look, that doesn't mean it has to be 100% correct as the rest of the top won't be anyway, but as far as the lower body goes I would like to form it like a "K".

TechMOGogy the box above the rub rail is a tank, there is one on each side and they are made of stainless. They were fitted by a previous owner.
Apparently he had intentions of shipping it to South Africa and was going to carry oil (I am guessing for the vehicle) in them but none of that ended up happening.

I am going to put of a build thread and then I can tell a bit more about the vehicle and what I'm up too!
dionpinz
Australia

Post by dionpinz »

How did you go with your rear door Pinz Aus. Funny thing is I am thinking of the same thing but on both sides. I have since 2004 been restoring one of the original australian pinnys like yours. Now my boys are growing so rear doors would help seat them. I remember your pinz being in tasmania and if you are still there then it might be worth hooking up with another pinz owner over there. He has a yellow 712M pinz from the UK and has cut a door in the back only on the left side. Look on youtube for his channel Blakey010.
There is also info on Robis pinzgauer forum. Good photos on https://pinzforum.kiruna.de/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5834.

Lucky my pinny is still in restoration so cutting what I have made is easier. PM me if you would like to talk further. Dion.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk