Can't split window assembly from lower part of door

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
boeing7873
Argentina

Can't split window assembly from lower part of door

Post by boeing7873 »

Sorry if it has been posted, but can manage to find on the forum any advice to split the top from the door bottom part. I removed bolts and screws but it all feels almost like welded. Don't want to bend anything!!
Any advice?
Jerome
CRJ Driver
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Can't split window assembly from lower part of door

Post by pcolette »

The door top and bottom were sealed together at the factory with a product like thick double-stick tape. Butyl tape perhaps. Over the years it hardens as though the two were welded together. Two or more thin and thick metal putty knives will usually do the trick. Carefully push them into the joint and then continue to slide them toward the front and rear.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
boeing7873
Argentina

Post by boeing7873 »

Many thanks Paul. What is the standard for reassembling? Put something back in between or just some rubber for quick top removal?
JC
Jerome
CRJ Driver
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

I'm not sure if there is a standard way to do it though I think the sealing tape is still available from SAV and EI. I used waterproof foam tape with adhesive on one side only. 1/16" thick as I recall. https://www.mcmaster.com/#foam-tape/=1crmtj4 (Ultra-Weather-Resistant EPDM Foam Sheets and Strips) Maybe this one: https://www.mcmaster.com/#1566n106/=1crmui4
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE