SSI issues

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
jafi
United States of America

SSI issues

Post by jafi »

Hello all,

At the beginning of the year I purchased the SSI...with all the positive reviews (like everyone else) I thought it to be an awesome upgrade. Unfortunately, my Pinz has not run right since.

I find that the timing is off by as much as 4 degrees after running it a while. I have proper voltages, min 12 and 24 respectively and have now gone so far as to replace the batteries. The ground is good, quadruple checked like everything else, wiring correct, nothing hooked up and energized incorrectly, directions followed to the "T". I had problems from the get go getting it timed correctly but manufacturer said the "play/slop" in it was normal. So finally I get it set to where I want it...2 deg BTDC. I check it multiple times after running a few minutes and it stays the same. I go for test drive and it runs poorly. So I start looking for other issues thinking all is well with SSI and I have had another issue crop up like carb adjustment or valve lash. Later I go back and double check my timimg and its off again!

Over a period of months now I have re-checked it and re-set it multiple times...timing always ends up off. Pinch clamp is working correctly and distributor is not moving. Have checked this MANY times thinking somehow its moving...its not.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am a pretty fair mechanic and turned a wrench for a living some years ago but this has me going ape s**t! I think I have a defective unit. I could always be doing something wrong though...I am far from perfect and have made many mistakes!

Thanks much for the help!!!
whitesik
United States of America

Re: SSI issues

Post by whitesik »

Looking forward to responses as I have had difficulty as well. Although I have set the SSI as directed, attempts to start/run suggest a timing problem. I am confused about your report of setting timing at 2 degrees because the SSI is set one way, red led on at TDC. Life has gotten in my war to pursue it further over the past few weeks but hope to get back to it soon. My truck has not run for over 3 months.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
jafi
United States of America

Post by jafi »

From posts here as well as from manufacturer of SSI, I time it to 2 degrees BTDC. To do so you must do the math to find how far from TDC each degree is. Then simply measure and mark 2 degrees BTDC or whatever your pinz runs best at.

I should also mention to those who may respond, I have made certain that the center shaft and disc are not turning independently as well.

I'm ready to go back to the Pertronix that was on it!

ARG!!!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Have you contacted the seller for support?
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

How are you checking the timing? Per the instructions it is important to set the static timing at 0 deg. Quote "It is important to set the static timing (timing set with engine not running) at 0 degrees, or TDC, because this is the reference point that the computer uses for the rest of the curve."

I've installed 3 of these units without any similar problems to what you are experiencing so I would also suggest contacting Rick for assistance.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
jafi
United States of America

Post by jafi »

Yes. Followed instructions to the "T". Even Re-installed in case I somehow missed something.
Yes, I have also talked to Rick several times.

When I was working in a shop as a mechanic for a living, there were several instances where we had something go amiss that no one could figure out...one in particular was even sent to the factory...they could not explain it either and ended up replacing an entire engine.

Could just be one of those things...but it sure is frustrating.

Going to re-install the pertronix when I get a sec and see how that goes...

Thanks much for the input!
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I don't understand the problem, either. The LED comes on then the light shines through a slot in the disc. For the timing to change either the disc has shifted or the shaft that it is mounted on has shifted. The electronics of the system has nothing to do with it. Slop or wear in the shaft gears could account for this issue.
You could put a small washer below the disc and one above to increase the clamping effect on the disc so it cannot slip. Send me your address and I will mail a new disc and washers, maybe that will do the trick.
Another cause could be that the 2 screws that hold the c-clip in place are not tight. If so, this would allow the module plate to move and change the timing.
There is a tiny Phillips screw that holds the LED pickup in place. Make sure it is tight.
IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG (365.63 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
jafi
United States of America

Post by jafi »

Thanks much for the offer Pinzinator!

Unfortunately, I checked ALL of those things as well as everything else I could think of including quadruple checking voltages when off and when running, changing ground locations, adding extra ground to chassis, purchasing new batteries and completely removing and inspecting the SSI twice. I am truly baffled. I was very much looking forward to this working.

I had time this last weekend to swap out the SSI for the Pertronix...runs like a top now. Probably just as well as I regularly take my 4X4s to very remote areas (I like to get away from people :)) some of them 40 and 50 miles from the nearest intersecting forest road and if the SSI does not run well or at all with low voltages, then if my batteries get low or I have charging issues I could potentially be stranded.

Thank you again for the offer...
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

Send the module back to me, I'll test it on my 710 and re-program as necessary. At least this way you will know that the problem is not with the electronics.
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

At some point, that is an offer I may wish to pursue also.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

PM me for the address. I have tested other modules on my Pinz with success, correct diagnosis is impossible with a keyboard and monitor.