The good ol' "Gearshift Rod"

Diffs, axles, lockers, transmissions, portals, that kind of thing.
Texas710
United States of America

The good ol' "Gearshift Rod"

Post by Texas710 »

Got to find out what this little 6" connector is for. Kind of freaked me out since it happened out on the trails over 100 miles from home... I probably should have stopped what I was doing and attempted a trail fix, but the truck was drive-able, R, 1 and 4, 5 were easy enough to find, 2, 3 not impossible but not fun to find while moving. And I figured it would be a major issue, thankfully it was not. So home I went... Looking at the truck later that night, I hooked up the dangling rod back on the transmission and all of a sudden had a tight shift pattern back.

I have ordered a replacement unit from SAV and will replace the whole unit ($70 or so with shipping), where it was only the bushings ($5) that failed.

So 2 things...

1) I would like to replace the bushings in the existing piece to have a spare, Anyone know of a source?

2) Check those bushings guys, don't let a $5 part ruin a nice day on the trails.

Thanks again
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: The good ol' "Gearshift Rod"

Post by 4x4Pinz »

There is a new style out and there bushings are not compatible. I carry an extra dog bone from a trail failure experience years ago. Have seen a couple fail on the trail. Easy to fix if you have a spare.
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

Doesn't seem like there are any more of the original bushings out there. The new part came in yesterday, once I mount that, I will simply keep the old one in the box and use as a spare if the new one fails.

This was not something on my radar before last weekend, but for sure something any newbies (like me) should know about because it is an easy fix but seems like the end of the world when it happens on a trail...
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

One of the failures on the trail we were able to fix with some 1/2" heater hose and wire zip ties. Worked so well it was left in truck until New Port arrived