Rev limiter

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
jafi
United States of America

Rev limiter

Post by jafi »

Hello all,

My 710K has been running like a top...very pleased! However in the last couple days I have had the ignition cut out intermittently at different rpms. I wish to bypass the dreaded rev limiter as I see other people have had issues with it at all rpms. Where is this located? I have not looked yet but while I was scouring the forum I thought this would be the quickest way to find it :D .

Also, on one post Jim mentioned that the 4500 light should blink when you turn the key on...mine does not illuminate at all when turning key on or upon start up.

I have the complete civi pertronix ignition and my truck is Austrian and one that was gone through in the 90s with the upgrades.

Thanks much in advance!
Lewis
Great Britain

Re: Rev limiter

Post by Lewis »

Mine too doesn’t flash when first turned on even though it’s a recon from SAV also mine would also randomly cut out, it took a while to find but it was a bad connection on the white connector block from the ignition resistor under the dash, worth looking at, it had obvious burn marks on the wire to the coil
1982 710K ex-Bosnian Radio car
Texas710
United States of America

Post by Texas710 »

It's up under the dash, kind of centered under the steering wheel. Do some searching on here and you will find plenty of post describing how to locate it and how to disable it.

I myself dealt with this issue and have a post that covers this. I think it's titled "vdo tach jumping around" that, and a general lack of power, was a symptom of mine.

Easy to do, fixed my issue, have not missed it since.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jafi
United States of America

Post by jafi »

Thanks much!
I am hoping to have a few minutes today to attack it...
Thanks again to both of you....tracing wires is always a pain....
I will post my results....
jafi
United States of America

Post by jafi »

Finally had time to monkey with the pinz...no start. Ended up being the flamethrower coil. Called Pertronix as the coil ohms ok on both primary and secondary. They confirmed my suspicions. Re-installed the military coil....ignition is fine once again.
Bypassed the rev limiter to avoid future issues. Now the only issue I have left is the flat spot/hesitation with carbs....I will see if I can find a carb expert here on the forum...

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP!!!!