Converting M to K

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
tgreening
United States of America

Converting M to K

Post by tgreening »

I’m in the market for a 712, preferably a K model, but it seems they are someone thin at the moment stateside. And I’m never t sure how long that import process could take so...

I’m wondering if it’s feasible to buy an M, which seems a bit more common here (at the moment), and then build a hard top for it when it suits.

Practicality, pitfalls, yada yada?
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Converting M to K

Post by TechMOGogy »

Yes, you just would not have the rear passenger doors but sometimes that is a good thing.
Lookup Andre - Fat Fabrications
He is busy but he can (and has) built them.
He has a nice modified 712 for sale as well that could be the start of your build platform
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

TechMOGogy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:56 pm Yes, you just would not have the rear passenger doors but sometimes that is a good thing.
Lookup Andre - Fat Fabrications
He is busy but he can (and has) built them.
He has a nice modified 712 for sale as well that could be the start of your build platform

Looked at his page but didn’t see a specific “for sale” area. I saw a post about some M models inbound before Christmas, but that’s it. Is that what you’re talking about.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I think his has sold and is becoming a modified platform (think 710K hard top on a longer 712M platform so the rear is a small open pickup bed)
Best to just PM him here or on FB.
murrayjp
United States of America

Post by murrayjp »

yes that true I brought it and Andre is building it for me a 712 with a 710 body. I think he has some 712 M coming in at the end of the year.
Bill

the hard part is waiting for it lol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Yes 4 712M's coming in
Fully repainted, new canvas tops, seats redone, etc
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

TechMOGogy wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:25 pm Yes 4 712M's coming in
Fully repainted, new canvas tops, seats redone, etc

Photos? From Oman?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Just to clarify what you want, the modern terminology.
A M is a 3 door softtop, K is a 5 door hardtop. The typical conversion from M to K is a 3 door M platform with a hardtop, this would be a MK , and conversely a 5 door K to a softtop is a KM. A mix will be called out with the first letter to designate the platform, either 3 door (M) or 5 door (K), the second letter is the top configuration , softtop "M" or hardtop "K". Any special purpose truck would be called out by an abbreviation of the use (ex... ALB, F, W..) and normally built on a 3 door platform

This truck is in the classifieds.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11619

Technically it would be a 712MK ( 3 door hardtop). I've known the present owner and previous owner for over 13 years. Both are very well known and respected in the Mog community with very recognizable SBU's.. Both are into doing and maintaining things correctly .
The techno tops were rare units and a bit pricey, so this truck isn't outlandishly price.

If you're looking for a 712MK, it is definitely something to look at .
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

I looked at that one, and it looks good, but I figure once the shipping back to the east is tacked on I'd be a bit over the budget my finance minister approved on what is considered a "frivolous" purchase. Go figure. I'm checking a bit closer to home and since I'm fair with a welder and hack saw I don't mind an M model. I can build a hard top, but I suck at sewing, so... :)