Lots of cheap heaters popping up

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Lots of cheap heaters popping up

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Looks like the Chinese diesel and gas heater market is growing lately. I ran across this page of them from a company I never heard of. I'm not sure the heating of an enclosed space is best trusted to a cheap, off-brand manufacturer but wondered if anyone has used one yet. The prices are going to injure the German stuff I'd bet. I would just make sure to have a CO detector and fire extinguisher in your rig!

https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Car- ... ry=America

Lots of interesting auto electronics on there too. 24v stuff as well.
Attachments
fb619f4c-8df8-4caf-8c15-1dda41a4c9aa.png
fb619f4c-8df8-4caf-8c15-1dda41a4c9aa.png (588.06 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Derrickbwg
United States of America

Re: Lots of cheap heaters popping up

Post by Derrickbwg »

I recently purchased components for a diy fpv racing drone on bang good. There are some really good prices on items there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

have bought a number of items from banggood. None of it has been as cheap as the price reflects. In some cases it is difficult to tell it from the name brand items I have. I guess if you don't have to do R&D and pay large wages you can make stuff real cheap. I still don't understand how it can be made this cheap and ship for the price but until then I will just enjoy the value.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Good overview of the differences in German vs. Chinese heater construction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cIWUD-OM4A

Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

I think these are worth a test. I've got my eye on a 24v gasoline model that I intend to purchase sometime in June to replace the factory unit in my 710K. I'll post back with my impressions.
Jason @battlebornpinzgauer
[1975 Pinzgauer 710K 2.7L EFI, 1972 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder]
Lewis
Great Britain

Post by Lewis »

Just going into my second summer with their 12v 360' duel mini fan, hate to say it but it's really good
1982 710K ex-Bosnian Radio car
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

For anyone considering one of these, now may be the time. It seems Chinese product prices are tanking across the board due to the current virus concerns. I just picked up this 5KW AIO unit for $135 on Amazon and there are plenty of options to choose from in that price range.

Published dimensions make it a good replacement fit for the factory heater in my K and the AIO configuration should make installation/setup a simple affair. I'll definitely open it up and confirm all fuel/electrical connections before operation. I'll report back once I've received and tested it.
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

I' m planning of buying one of these as my Eberspacher gave up on me :x for the second time....frist time the controle unit faild now i dont think im going to spend more time on this....so wat about these chineese ones....who has one and are they anny good :((
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

One thing I have followed to the letter in buying from some unknown supplier/manufacturer
from either Amazon or ebay is to read the the product ratings very carefully. In this case, your
putting a furnace in your truck so you just want to be EXTREMELY safe.

For example if I see >10% 1-star ratings that's a big RED flag. Some people just flame "it's the
wrong color", the directions suck etc. But you have to read them all as some people detail the
problems exceptionally well -- again when the 1-star count is on the high side this becomes
important.

I also look at the total number of ratings, if less than 50, the overall ratings are not going to be
statistically meaningful and the feedback is going to have a lot of noise in it. Might be that the
product is too new for people to give feedback yet.

So...be it as it may in this case, both these conditions would have failed my test :(( Price be good
or not I would not put this in my truck -- just yet anyway.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I've spent an unhealthy amount of time researching these things since that post. Being an anti-china product person, when practical, this was an odd thing for me to get into this deep but it's based on simple economics. I could likely never afford a $1000 heater so I'm looking at either, no heat, or a cheap heater that may have cheap fixes to deal with, or may not!

After reading probably the majority of all the reviews out there, as well as endless forum threads on other sites, as well as the exhausting facebook pages dedicated to these, I decided to get one! I never once came across any information about one of these leaking gasses into a cab or hurting anyone and there are 1000's in use out there from 4x4 campers to OTR truckers. I will still install a Carbon Monoxide detector inside, as I would with any fuel heater.

I was careful with my selection and got it from a US seller, and selected the smaller 2kw unit as I don't think the 5kw is needed unless you are in super cold climates or have a cab bigger than a 710K. I also wanted the more simple rotary knob model. The LCD control version seems to have issues but there are aftermarket updates you can buy that are nice, just makes it more expensive. Basically you only need the LCD to modify the settings, like if you park in high altitudes often, you can make the fuel mixture fit the environment.

I planned the install over time and well in advance, reading all the advice out there. It went well and didn't take long. I modified the kit in key areas after identifying known weaknesses:

1- I bought a better fuel filter. There are Espar units and others made for small engines. I think I got one for chainsaws from my local parts store.
2- I upgraded the rubber fuel hose portion of the fuel line to USA-made hose.
3- I upgraded the power supply wiring to 10g.
4- I made sure to keep the hard fuel line as short as possible and that it mated right up against the pump and heater inlet. **This is key!**
5- I changed the fuel tank to fit my mounting needs. There are several available out there. I went with a smaller one that fits what I do better as well. I also made sure it's higher up than my pump.

It fired right up and runs perfectly. It blows some nice hot air. In fact I can't imagine needing it running over night unless its really cold/windy so I'll probably heat the cab up just before sleeping and maybe fire it up in the morning to help with the morning chills. Keep in mind that I have a very well insulated cab so a soft top Pinz is a whole other thing.

I have zero fears of anything leaking into the cab as they just aren't designed in a way where that could happen without lots of failures. The insides are basically identical to the German ones with the combustion chamber being sealed and fully separated from the air blower section. I'd be happy to share what i learned if there are questions. Oh and I paid a total of $125!!
Attachments
IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 8596 times

Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Vince,

I'd love to see some detailed pics of the installation. All good info. Thanks!
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I agree! Detailed pics and sourcing of components. I hate reinventing the wheel. When I bought my 710K the original heater was in parts in a big box. This seems like an alternative and you have done all the legwork.
Thanks Vince!

(I'd paint over the Made in China)
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Hi Vince, here in Australia a couple of people have put the 5kw version in their Land rover 101s - so about the same size and layout as a Pinz. Probably a good move on getting the 2kw version as the 5kw in the 101 heats it up the rear almost instantly and only needs to run a few minutes to heat up even on -5c nights - you are colder there but I am sure it will work well for you.

I am thinking of a 5kw version for the 101 as I want to also heat the cab with a fume curtain in place and also looking at a 2kw for the Haflinger - I will need the 2kw version for such as small vehicle to over come to over come the windy environment in the cabin.

I have only good things on these heaters - and what a great price they are.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Well I didn't take photos during install and this is going into a little different type of 4x4 but the install basics are the same. I'll get a pic from the underside of the heater soon. This is the main cabinet I'm just now finishing up in the back that houses the house-battery and controls - master camper/house battery switch, USB charger and battery gauge panel. That's the rotary heater control option. One problem with the basic LCD heater option is how bright the panel is. The back-lighting doesn't turn off so that's a big issue for sleeping. I have also read about reliability issues with them overall. The rotary has a subtle back-light to the buttons and is bluntly simple. I used a 20amp fuse on the heater (with the 10gauge wire upgrade).

I also changed to a smaller 5.5L fuel tank which is plenty for how I use it. You can get them for $15-20. It fits in lots more places than the larger ones they come with. If you have a diesel Pinz you could tap into the main fuel line instead of having a tank.

Garry I have read some reports of sooting up if the heater isn't allowed to really burn hot for a while. That's an important thing to consider when picking a size. It's better to run a 2kw a lot, than a 5kw for a short while and have to turn it off. These heaters don't have a super low or "warm" setting unfortunately. It's either burning fuel or not.

You can learn pretty much everything about these by watching this guy John. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwmU_CcmGI

Unhealthy snacks are important when doing electrical work.
Attachments
IMG_3115[1].JPG
IMG_3115[1].JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 8412 times
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 8413 times
IMG_E3064.jpg
IMG_E3064.jpg (566.26 KiB) Viewed 8419 times
IMG_3120[1].JPG
IMG_3120[1].JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 8421 times

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I found this pic of the underside of an install on a LRover but its all mostly the same. The heaters come with a piece you can use as a template for the holes. In this pic he doesn't have the fuel line hooked up yet. You can barely see it there with a cap over the end.
Attachments
IMG_20181117_155841.jpg
IMG_20181117_155841.jpg (222.65 KiB) Viewed 8409 times