Intercom

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Banshee35
United States of America

Intercom

Post by Banshee35 »

So I have been reading through threads and am now thinking I need an intercom system.

I would prefer something easy to set up and little modification needed but also in keeping with the spirit of the vehicle. I would be using it with kids so something that doesn’t require a “push to talk” would keep things simpler. I would be looking for probably a setup for 4 at least initially.

I would be using it for coms, music and hearing protection and saw a thread where a guy was using the Bose triport headset which I like the appearance and features of but he mentioned he converted them to 3.5mm plugs. A quick search didn’t yield any details on how to do the conversion.

Also, what other parts would I need?

I wouldn’t mind hardwired if it’s not difficult to do. I was thinking perhaps mounting the intercom box on the dividing wall to allow easy access to plug in.

Please help as I’m a moron when it comes to this and even what I need.

Thanks in advance
Garage:
1971 Pinzgauer 710M
1969 M151
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
rmel
United States of America

Re: Intercom

Post by rmel »

You will need an Intercom head (audio controller) to plug the headsets into.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categori ... rowse.html
Stuff on ebay besides aircraft, some surplus I have seen in the past from Humvee's but rarely.

If the male jack on the headset you pick is a different size than the female jack on the controller
there are adapters to go from one size to the other w/o the need to cut and rewire.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I use Rugged Radio. They were moderately priced and have worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have been running a six station system from Avcomm since '04. I opted for the dash mount controls. Nice because the pilot and navigator can shut off the passengers and have a conversation without them. I later added an expansion box which can stand alone if needed in another vehicle. As it is an aviation system it is compatible with the pinz electrical system. The folks at Avcomm were very helpful and have done many military vehicles. Worth a look.
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

The setup on our vehicle is
ITC-2004 Four Place Portable (https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... 01enri.php, http://www.flighttech.com/index.htm)
  • It will take 9 to 24 volts. I have plenty of 12 volt. So, it is hard wired to the 12 volt panel
For headsets we watched craigslist and picked up an assortment of standard pilots headsets.

The 12 volt system consists of an equalizer, 100 amp 12 volt battery, Epic PWRgate, distribution panel and a couple of fuses.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
Doug308
United States of America

Post by Doug308 »

I found some noise canceling headsets with a boom mike on Ebay that work with my Motorola T600 walkies. I just turn on the VOX setting.
No one is coming. It’s up to us.
Doug308
United States of America

Post by Doug308 »

I found some noise canceling headsets with a boom mike on Ebay that work with my Motorola T600 walkies. I just turn on the VOX setting.
No one is coming. It’s up to us.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Ive always found the volume disappointing with the AVCOMM units. We run volume maxed, and its still relatively quiet. Wished there was a bit more gain
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)