Exhaust wrap

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Havok
Australia

Exhaust wrap

Post by Havok »

Hey yall, I am always looking for a way to reduce noise level and especially heat in the cab and am considering using exhaust wrap on manifold etc. the claim that it can reduce radiant heat by 50% would be amazing especially considering I was driving around yesterday in +40c. Among other claims it is said to decrease gas density allowing for exhaust to exit faster, not cheap to do but also not prohibitive especially if claims are true! Anyone have experience?
1975 710k "Havok"
rmel
United States of America

Re: Exhaust wrap

Post by rmel »

IMHO get your exhaust components ceramic treated, header wrap has the
problem of trapping moisture accelerating rust. Just be careful of some of
Charlestons out there on coating treatments, ask hard questions. the best
processes coat both external and internal surfaces.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Havok
Australia

Post by Havok »

Thanks for the reply rmel, as with any remotely semi permanent alteration to my Pinz I try to research as much as I can before attempting and still end up sweating to death in the process! I first saw info on trapping moisture and thought I found an answer in a silicone spray ( high temp,) but on closer examination found it was an after install for the benefit of the wrap itself, which is probably a good idea as well seeing the amount of bush crap, mud etc. I think a ceramic paint coat beforehand is a very wise choice!
1975 710k "Havok"
murrayjp
United States of America

Post by murrayjp »

Anyone got any updates on wrapping the Exhaust header . Getting ready to put the Flex pipe on was thinking that I could wrap the header while I have it off

Bill
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I got mine locally coated at a local reputable shop. Been a few
years now and no sign of flaking or oxidation. Far less heat under
the Dog house an in the cabin.

If your headers are off see if there's a shop nearby. If you
go the Jet-Hot route you have to ship them. Far more
permanent solution than header wrap.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Havok wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 pm Hey yall, I am always looking for a way to reduce noise level and especially heat in the cab and am considering using exhaust wrap on manifold etc. the claim that it can reduce radiant heat by 50% would be amazing especially considering I was driving around yesterday in +40c. Among other claims it is said to decrease gas density allowing for exhaust to exit faster, not cheap to do but also not prohibitive especially if claims are true! Anyone have experience?
How about doing what many other trucks do: Install heat shields? My FJ has them everywhere above the exhaust. Thin aluminum stamped plates that are slightly (1/4in?) stood off from the underside of the body. This won't address your noise (much), but should address the thermal concerns.

Also, if you raise the temperature of the exhaust components, I'd expect you'll shorten their lifespan. By how much, it's hard to say, but I don't think it'll benefit the exhaust components to wrap them or otherwise increase their temperature.
Porksgauer
United States of America

Post by Porksgauer »

Best options as others have mentioned are ceramic coat the headers and use heat shields. The very first thing I tackled was reducing heat going into the cab. I'm in south texas with a K model. I used Heatsheild Products (HSP) thermaflect cloth and covered the whole underside of the engine cover. That made a huge difference. I have not done anything yet to the headers...I will in due time. The heat exchanger and muffler I placed HSP Muffler Armour.