LED cross-reference for various small bulbs

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
AZ_Mike
United States of America

LED cross-reference for various small bulbs

Post by AZ_Mike »

I'm in the process of replacing all the little bulbs on my 712 AMB-s with LED bulbs and I'm looking for all the cross-references I can find. I see others have posted all the dash indicator bulbs. I will annotate these later.

As I find all these bulbs I will update in Bold.

Front trun signal lamps (13421 24V 20W): I recommend AUTOGINE 1156 replacements (polarity and voltage insensitive) in amber.

AMB-S licence plate bulbs: 14W DR.G.FISCHER ST 24V4W (Not sure the actual wattage of these but I think 4--the fixture has a 2W sticker inside) These are BA9s (9mm bayonet).

AMB-S Ambulence Box dome light bulbs? 4W BA9s for the dim and 13W BA15s (1156 size) for bright.

Map light in cab? 4W BA9s again! Room for a longer LED replacement

Lamp in emergency flasher switch (13829 PHILLIPS 24V3W A3); This is a 7mm bayonet connector known as a VDO Type A or BA7s. LEDs in 6 or 12 volts are common as these were used in Volkswagens. I looked everywhere for 24v and found some on eBay from Bulgaria listed in French (on order)

Spedometer and gas gauge lights (these need to be brighter--they are overwhelmed by the dash indicator strip at night)? Suprise 4W BA9s again..

As others have covered, The 4/6 WD indicator, locker indicators, and dash indicator strip are all BA9s. You need short LEDs for the dash (more space) but the locker indicator housings have lots of room.

Superbrightleds.com is a great site in general but not so much for 24/28V. They have no BA7s offering in 24/28v and only the landscaping lamp type for 24/28v. They also don't offer warm white in 24v--I'm not a fan of cool white on my dash at night. 6000K is the color of midday sun but surrounded by darkness the brain perceives a lot of blue in it. As another poster has pointed out these landscaping bulbs have to be sanded down to fit the dash indicator strip. There are lots of short BA9s 24'/28v offerings on Amazon/Ebay but usually in lots of 10 or 20. I'm converting my instrument lights and the dim mode of my ambulance dome light to red. Imay also buy a 10 pack of green. Not sure what is most economical for white and blue. If you see me aroumd ask me for exrea LED bulbs :)

Mike
Last edited by AZ_Mike on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
New owner of Swiss 1975 712AMB.
rmel
United States of America

Re: LED cross-reference for various small bulbs

Post by rmel »

Yu'll also have to replace your turn flasher. They are current activated.
LED's don't draw enough current to make your bi-metal based flasher
flash reliably. SAV has one that is solid state and will flash proper.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
AZ_Mike
United States of America

Post by AZ_Mike »

Im guessing I will have to leave one incandescent bulb on each side until I replace the flasher. I'm still putting together my next SAV order . . . Have a defective brake light switch and a few other things.

Mike
AZ_Mike
United States of America

Post by AZ_Mike »

I installed the Turkish solid state flasher from SAV and it runs great with all LED bulbs.

The AUTOGINE bulbs are nice and bright snd fit well (same length as incandescent).

Mike
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

The one quirk with that solid state flasher is that it may false trigger the Flasher light
even with the turn switch in the neutral position -- which is a nuisance but not a real
problem. Not everyone had had this problem, I know of two cases, there may be more.
See thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10648
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
AZ_Mike
United States of America

Post by AZ_Mike »

rmel wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 am The one quirk with that solid state flasher is that it may false trigger the Flasher light
even with the turn switch in the neutral position -- which is a nuisance but not a real
problem. Not everyone had had this problem, I know of two cases, there may be more.
See thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10648

That is interesting but if it were to happen to me I would be more interested in tracking down the source of the current leak.

Mike
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Any progress on those instrument bulbs? For now, I swapped in a 4W incandescent as the original 2W was simply too dim.

Am waiting for these from Amazon to see if they'll work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083X ... UTF8&psc=1