Engine wanted

Issues pertaining to the TGB/C30X series engine and driveline issues
brandonium
United States of America

Re: Engine wanted

Post by brandonium »

1k is not bad considering some of these shops want 2.5k just for an adapter.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

You have to pay for their time and resources to make the part plus profit. Just my CAD software alone cost $3500

So it makes since and honestly if someone made an adapter that would have worked then I would have paid $2k all day long. It just so happens they don’t in this case and I have the background and skill to do much of it myself.

I will caution anyone following me in my footsteps that this is not a cheap conversion to begin with and where I may get away relatively cheaply, I owned and operated my own truck fab shop for many years and I do not have to farm much of anything out.

Just sayin....
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Here is a cheezy video build.

https://youtu.be/c1FT6wMAY5Q
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Another transmission comes to mind for future evaluation. The Mercedes Iron Box 5 speed that is in some Gwagens with an overdrive 5th. I owned one briefly. It's the best G tranny made and holds up to pretty decent power inputs, and is known for lasting a long time. The Mercedes 1ton vans also used them. I don't have measurements on hand but it seemed relatively compact.

There's also the Pinz TD 5 speed ZF.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Here is the adapter as seen through CAD. I should have all the parts on hand by Friday if my machine shop can pull it together.

https://youtu.be/Ct3m_nDeoCw
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Should have another video soon. Long story short the engine and transmission have been mated fully and everything appears to fit fine so far. Still not out of the woods yet though.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Very curious about this one...
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

https://youtu.be/PFvUO5nbPXk

Sorry for the delay
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Congratulations on the progress. Looks like a very snug fit. Sounds great!

Do you have any photos available showing The clutch pressure plate mounted to the flywheel both before and after mounting the engine-to-transmission adapter plate?

Did you use the original Volvo pressure late, disc and TOB? Of so, did you have to add a shim disc to the rear of the 2.8 flywheel to negate the thickness of the adapter plate against which the original the original clutch would make contact. BTW, how thick is your conversion plate?

How far toward the passenger side have you shifted the transmission/transfer case compared to the original stock set-up? How much clearance do you have for the front prop shaft with the passenger side corner springs at full compression?

Pardon my ignorance of the 2.8 attachments but what is the function of the unit attached to the driver's side 90 degree elbow p/n 5253505 (video time:1:37-1:40)? Does it appear that the stock rear engine cover can be used and if so, how much modification will be required?

Final questions for now: Standard idle speed? What is the maximum RPM for this motor? What is recommended for highest sustainable rpm

Best wishes for continued progress and success. I am sure many will be interested to know the final tally of both time and money in completing the project. What you have gained thus far and will gain in the way of problem solving experience is both incalculable and invaluable. Worth every penny and every second!

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Well, certainly don’t want to spoil any future videos, but know that this video is about a month old in terms of progress.

The engine is indeed a very tight fit. The bell adapter is .75” thick and is precision ground flat. The stock Cummins flywheel is installed with minor machine work to accept a flywheel adapter that mimics the Volvo B30 crank flange. This accepts a bone stock B30 Flywheel. It also sets the Volvo flywheel to the exact depth it was originally at on the stock B30 setup. So this allows you to use all stock clutch components if you like. The transmission etc is shifted over approximately 1 7/8” to the passenger side. This causes some front drive shaft issues in regards to the engine rear flange. You could modify the back of the engine and get away with it possibly, but I will be going a bit more complicated route to make it bullet proof hopefully. I believe the elbow you are talking about might be the intake? The turbo and exhaust is on the passenger side and you have to intercool the charge air and send it to the drivers side. I had to make some adjustments to the engine configuration to make this work on the back rather than front of engine. Some slight cab trimming was ultimately required (not necessary if done a bit different) to clear the intake better. The stock dog house cover will “FIT” but would require some sheet metal work to allow it to be installed about 4-6” maybe. However my plan is to build a custom fiberglass doghouse to replace the old metal one. But I’m not solid about that yet, I may just make an extension and be done with it. Anyways, I know that’s a lot of info, but always feel free to PM me and I will give you my cell and I can explain more or send more updated pics via email.

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Maybe this will help.

https://youtu.be/ghKbbtQqouI
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

WOW!!!
That is amazing workmanship! Definitely not for the faint of heart...or wallet!
With that amount of rotating mass, crawling up inclines in low range AWD at idle should be a walk in the park. Point and go.
Well done!

Jim Molloy
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Thanks, it will be awesome when it’s done to completion. 310ftlbs of torque with the poorly geared T-case is amazing to say the least. I always prefer a crawler box or something so I can get 100:1 or better crawl, but this one with all the engine torque will get the job done as well. I don’t see myself working this truck the same as I do my Mog’s anyways just due to it being massively more rare.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

When I look up the specs for the Cummins 2.8, this is what comes up.

Configuration: Inline 4 cylinder
Weight: Approx. 475 lbs, not including emissions equipment
Horsepower: 210 hp @ 3,600 rpm
Torque: 385 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm

The two MB engines that I have seen used for Volvo TGB diesel transplants using the original transmission/transfer case are the following:

Mercedes-Benz OM617A Diesel Engine
Power output: 125 PS (92 kW; 123 hp) @ 4350 rpm
Torque output: 250 N⋅m (184 lb⋅ft) @ 2400 rpm
Dry weight: 266 kg

Mercedes-Benz OM603 Diesel Engine
Power output 109 - 150 hp (81 - 111 kW) @ 4600 rpm
Torque output 185 Nm - 310 Nm @ 2400 rpm
Dry weight 217 kg

I know the trucks equipped with the Mecedes powerplants seem to achieve road speeds equivalent to those reached with the standard B30A Volvo engine. Although maximum hp of the Cummins is reached at 3600 rpm, how high can that motor be revved for a sustained period of time? I have personally seen the five cylinder OM617A sustain 5500+ rpm without any untoward effects.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Those are not the correct specs for the Cummins R2.8.

HP is 161 as I recall and torque is flat across at 310ftlbs max RPM is 4200 as I recall.
Last edited by dokatd on Mon May 06, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.