dokatd
United States of America

Re: Engine wanted

Post by dokatd »

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

As for the 617 option, I have had a few. They are decent for sure. But at extreme RPM’s they start to leak and are really pushing their limits as built. They are a pleasure under 4500rpm though.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Geez I would never let a 617 sit at that kind of revs for long. I've owned a few of them and while great motors, their day for new conversions has passed by in my opinion. Their age are changing them from "old reliable" into a growing gamble. If you get one these days, assume it's got more miles than is claimed and assume the pistons are going to be a problem and buy new ones if they are still made, along with the timing chain/tensioner, all seals, valves, check the cam lobes and so on.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Little clutch upgrade! Image
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Specifics on the clutch components please. Those components look very nice indeed. Are you using the standard TOB?

From the previous discussion on the fast revving diesel OM617A, I am not advocating those motors be run at high rpm continuously but it is reassuring to know that the ones I have seen in operation have tolerated those higher rpm without failure. As for the one we have in our first TGB 1314A, I am quite happy knowing it performs in the same ballpark as the B30A but with better fuel economy.

Keep those hits coming. Your work is inspirational!

Take care.
Jim Molloy
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

The clutch is a stage three from Spec. It is simply a clutch designed for a Volvo 164. Their stage one clutch is good to 350ftlbs. I would be lying if I told you I remembered the torque rating of the stage 3, but it’s vastly higher just due to the 6 puck design over the full disc design. The clutch cover came with a TOB adapter of some sort that was not compatible with the stock C303 TOB. So I simply removed that part and let the TOB ride on the fingers like stock. This did change my clutch adjustment quite a bit but actually worked out better in the end I think. The pedal feels the same as it did before. But it most certainly holds every once of torque from the R2.8.

If you buy a spec clutch remember that it comes with a new pilot bearing, and also the stage 2 disc is made from materials that don’t like getting wet per SPEC. They suggested I use the stage 3 just for this reason.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

24 to 12V conversion is almost complete, just need some new headlight bulbs and either rewind or swap out the wiper motors. If anyone has solid info on swapping or rewinding wiper motors I sure would appreciate it.

This appears to be an option. https://www.oshkoshequipment.com/produc ... otor%2DKit
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

I know of only one guy...The Wiper Guy

Don West
3730 NE Grandhaven Dr.
McMinnville, Oregon

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=1086158

last summer, I approached Don with the task of converting a pair of TGB1314 wiper motors from 24v to 12v. His knowledge of this type of wiper motor is absolutely astounding. I dropped them off (he is only fifteen miles away from our farm) and two days later, they were in my hands, ready for action. Once installed, they functioned flawlessly. I believe he found the 12v armature from the VW Typ 181 was the perfect fit. Feel free to pass along my name and that he knows you are converting a Volvo military truck. Should jog his memory. If he is unable to help you, please let me know.

Hope this helps.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

I will save you guys some waiting time for the next video and let you know the truck is up and running and appears the be handling everything well. It will take some time to get everything cleaned up the way I want it, and finish a few minor items. In the meantime I am taking it on some shakedown runs to make sure it’s ready for the open road.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Any further updates on this build?

Jim Molloy
Walsersee Farm
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Guess I owe a response here. Truck has been down for a bit waiting for a revised part to be machined. Also swapped gears in the diffs. Hoping to have the part tomorrow and truck back up Thursday. Hopefully I have some time to make a follow up video in the near future.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

So...wow machine shop took their sweet A$$ time. Finally got revised parts back late last week. Assembled everything again and she is back up and running better than before. Changes took care of some alignment issues between the transmission and engine due to differences in bellhousing I had available to me. I am also trying out a “stock” clutch from tatanka to get back some of the clutch feel I lost with the racing clutch from SPEC. The SPEC unit was fine, but it was not as smooth and supple as the original. New gears of course got run in as well. Holy smokes those made a difference. It no longer feels like you are winding the whole thing out. It’s smooth and stupid fast. I still have to resecure a bunch of cables and hoses etc before I put a bunch of miles on it, but that will come over the next few days.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Congratulations on further progress.

It is disappointing to see that nearly 100% of the embedded photos in this thread are now no longer instantly accessible. I am happy I took the time to download then when they were available.

Please keep us informed as you steadily move forward.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Yeah, Photo Bucket really went overboard. Them locking down Tinypic was a huge knock on many threads across the internet.

I will eventually create another video and try to show the performance of the truck. Hopefully My buddy is going to duplicate my efforts in 2020 so we can get some good info.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

You mentioned installing different gears in your differentials. What ratio did you choose? Please define "stupid fast'. :)

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm