Blowing starter solenoids???please help

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Wyothing
United States of America

Blowing starter solenoids???please help

Post by Wyothing »

I am having trouble with blowing starter solenoids, please help.
My problem started when I put a battery charger on one battery. I charged it up no problem. I did the same for the second battery and forgot it overnight. But the real issue, I hate to admit, is that I forgot to turn the main shut off behind the seat. Thus I exposed the entire electrical system to my battery charging.

When I tried to start the truck after charging. It turned over for a split second and stopped. Then it just clicked at the starter. I pulled the starter and checked it on the bench with the solenoid removed. It spun up. So I replaced the solenoid and put it back in the truck. It started up just fine. I put everything back and it started a second time just fine. I left and a couple hours later went to start it and it just started clicking at the starter again. I am sure I fried my solenoid. I had one spare so now I will order another.

I checked all the breakers and nothing seems out of the ordinary. SO I don't want to order another solenoid and burn it up without figuring out the problem.

Could this be a problem with the voltage regulator? Did I fry it too? And if so it is under the dog house on the passenger side behind the axe so to speak? If not then I have fried something else.

Also, I run a pinzi SSI.
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Blowing starter solenoids???please help

Post by David Dunn »

Before doing anything else, check voltage on both batteries. Your charging might have finished off a questionable battery. A 'clicking' solenoid is a quick indicator of low battery voltage. Check before attempting to start it and again after trying to cranking it.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

I will second what David suggests.
I was having starter/solenoid issues, and it turned out to be one of the batteries was just too low voltage.
Mike

'76 710K
Wyothing
United States of America

Post by Wyothing »

I checked the batteries and both were good.
Wyothing
United States of America

Post by Wyothing »

Mr Dunn I believe you were right. I checked both batteries and both were over 12 volts. So then I tried to start truck and nothing. Checked again and the front battery was 11 volts. I didn't think that was too low but apparently it is. I put jumper cables on the front battery and the truck turned over but slowly. So bingo. I think the battery is just on the edge.

Thanks so much for the help. I was jumping over the simple things getting carried away with bigger issues.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

A volt meter will give you a voltage, but once a load is added, any shorts within the batteries or a loose connection will raise their ugly faces, :( .

Unfortunately, my TDI 718K has dual voltages and has entirely different characteristics with low battery voltage (which I thought I knew :roll: ) Its still teaching me. :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)