Rubber shock cord

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Banshee35
United States of America

Rubber shock cord

Post by Banshee35 »

So in trying to put my top back down the other day I broke my very dry rotted shock cord.

I see that SAV has replacement sold by the foot. How many feet would I need to do a complete replacement and is there a better option?

I was looking at black bungee cord but not sure which would hold up better or what kind of life I should expect to get from just replacing with the original rubber one?
Garage:
1971 Pinzgauer 710M
1969 M151
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Rubber shock cord

Post by 4x4Pinz »

rubber shock cord is the best option. many have tried other items with no better results. I saw a truck rope used but the top took one heck of a beating as the rope did not flex so the top had to do all the work, which it did not do very well. Just remove all the cordage and measure for length. Suggest you do all at one time. When I ran soft tops I just bought an entire roll and sold what other owners needed. Found a local source but the price was not much better then SAV. If you do go elsewhere make sure it is UV rated. Some bought rubber cord that was not and here in the desert it barely lasted a year.
Banshee35
United States of America

Re: Rubber shock cord

Post by Banshee35 »

Well that’s part of the problem is that I would like to have it on hand when I get tearing into it as it won’t fit in my garage.

I just figured somebody must have done in in the past and knew how many feet I needed to order.
Garage:
1971 Pinzgauer 710M
1969 M151
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C