Suggestions for where to run wires to batteries.

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Jake2015
United States of America

Suggestions for where to run wires to batteries.

Post by Jake2015 »

I’m adding a 12v system into my 712K and needing to run cables from the batteries to my dc-to-dc charger. Should I drill a hole on the top, rear, or right side of this area to run the cables?
DC1F132A-64BD-42E4-8E0A-91B02F486C01.jpeg
DC1F132A-64BD-42E4-8E0A-91B02F486C01.jpeg (979.24 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
There will be a framework around that area so the cables won’t be exposed no matter which place they come out. This is a mock-up of the framework.
A22FAC4E-0139-4C95-98D6-142776747A1D.jpeg
A22FAC4E-0139-4C95-98D6-142776747A1D.jpeg (1022.73 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer
rmel
United States of America

Re: Suggestions for where to run wires to batteries.

Post by rmel »

Where you ultimately decide to run 24V power to your REDARC converter is probably
secondary to where you are going to place the 12V battery (and type) as well as any
other items of interest such as Power outlets etc etc etc. I'd suggest you map out all
the components and their placement then where you drill the hole for 24V will become
a bit more obvious.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

I needed a 12 V system to supply my electric power steering.
A 24 to 12 Volt converter / charger got installed behind the passenger seat and a 20 Ah motorcycle battery to buffer the system
The 24 Volt supply is connected directly to the starter motor and the 12 V subsystem is run in parallel to the wiring harness. So there was no need to drill any holes, except for the one where the engine cover is sitting.
An 80 A fuse is installed to protect the system, and a 150 A relay located underneath the battery disconnects the 12V subsystem from ground when the ignition is off
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

Ron,

The batteries will be located inside of the framework, which is why I’m trying to decide which way to go into the battery box. There will be a bank of two in parallel. I’ve already had them in place without the charger. This framework will be part of a expanding bed and will have the electrics umderneath.
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Not sure I understand exactly where the batteries are located e.g. "Framework".

But here's where I was going with my comment. 12V systems have creep. That is,
things get added to it over time, Cigarette type outlet, Higher power for a Radio
or two; CB, HAM, AM/FM, then Navigation, Air compressor, Frig and so on. If you
can think ahead of what all the 12V appliance will be then you need to think
about which will be "Hot" (on all the time), which will be "Switched" e.g. when
the Ignition is switched on, do you need any 24V beyond the DCDC converter for
say a PinzSSI and so on. Once you have that list of items then each should be
Fused with a ATO/ATC fuse via a fuse block. The Battery should be protected with
a circuit breaker, the feed to the DCDC converter should also be fused -- never tap
into a source of power without protection.

Once you have all these options listed out, they will need to be organized on a panel,
that takes up a lot of room and a convenient place to put it all. Then the feed-point
from the 24V kinda falls out of that design for you. If your going to put this stuff on
the outside wall of the 712 you have no choice but to drill a hole(s). But again you
may find more than just the 24V line wants to go through that hole so plan ahead.

A panel I put together for my 712 is below. It's behind the drivers seat as this is a M.
I drilled a 1" hole in the floor air-duct cover to run cables from the distribution panel
to the engine bay which includes the 24V Battery Box, the remote +12V Battery and
several cables for Engine monitors. I used a water tight cable Gland to seal that all up.
PowerPanel.jpg
PowerPanel.jpg (122.04 KiB) Viewed 4075 times
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q